Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack

Backpack

I'be been using a raid light endurance pack (14lit capacity) for long ultras and it had been perfect. It is now knackered so I need a new sack but raidlight don't make them any more

Can any one recommend an alternative ?

solamon S-Lab 12 vest pack. use with 1 or 2 bottles or bladder. 12 litre capacity. i use it along with many others for the Lakeland 100

I would be interested in recommendations as well.
    I've looked at the Ultimate Direction PB adventure which is 16 litres but ultra expensive! I really want something I can use for long days out rather than just ultras which means you need capacity for extra food and drink. I found with the UD once I'd put all my bulky kit in the main compartments they were full which then only leaves the side pockets. That's ok for races where all you need is gels and bars. Having said that I liked the way the vest design carried the weight and of course having drink bottles handy is a big plus. I'm probably looking for more of a fastpack than a vest to get the capacity I want!!

Lux if you live anywhere near Settle Castleberg Sports they have tester vests you can take away and try.

Montane Dragon 20 - I got the old 'hard' bottle version for £50 from sports shoes. Bottles are OK if not great but the fit is fantastic, I've had no problems with a stiff neck and shoulders which I used to suffer from with my old bag. Nice and stable when only half full too. Seems very well made, the only downside being a bit of a shortage of pockets on the front. Still, I'm very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
    Montane Dragon 20 - I got the old 'hard' bottle version for £50 from sports shoes. Bottles are OK if not great but the fit is fantastic, I've had no problems with a stiff neck and shoulders which I used to suffer from with my old bag. Nice and stable when only half full too. Seems very well made, the only downside being a bit of a shortage of pockets on the front. Still, I'm very happy with mine.
    Thanks Ed. That looks interesting - I'll look up the reviews. A more sensible price too!

Lux...I was looking at the OMM range at the recent OMM in Glentrool. They were pretty good and I was tempted. The problem I have is my shoulder is not flexible enough to reach back to easily pull water bottles from the side pockets even though they are angled to help. So I fix small bottle holders to each shoulder strap.

Like you I've recently been looking at Ultimate Direction as they do packs that seem to combine the best of both a sack and a vest. Would be interested to hear any feedback from anyone using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
    Ed. If the bottles are a problem woul it be possible to fit something like a Raidlight bottleholder to the strap - will they undo to slide on?

Quote Originally Posted by philbrynmaen View Post
    Lux...I was looking at the OMM range at the recent OMM in Glentrool. They were pretty good and I was tempted. The problem I have is my shoulder is not flexible enough to reach back to easily pull water bottles from the side pockets even though they are angled to help. So I fix small bottle holders to each shoulder strap.

Like you I've recently been looking at Ultimate Direction as they do packs that seem to combine the best of both a sack and a vest. Would be interested to hear any feedback from anyone using them.
    I tested the UD PB adventure 3.0 recently. It would be good for races where you carry minimum food and kit, it carries the weight and bottles well. Although it states 16 litre capacity the main compartment is small and the other pockets can only take gels and bars. I found I struggled to get as much in as my 10 litres OMM sac. I really wanted something for long self sufficient days where I need spare food and kit. It's not big enough for that. The UD fastpack 20 looks good for that but might be a bit heavy for races.

Raidlight XP14 looks to be a direct replacement doesn't it...?
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    Raidlight XP14 looks to be a direct replacement doesn't it...?
    Unfortunatley they can't carry water bottles in pockets - as far as I can make out!!