Thread: Roc Mountain Marathon

Roc Mountain Marathon

So who is in this year?

Near Black Combe this year. An area I know nothing about, looks pretty rolling and grassy but not much to nav off? If clag is down then may be interesting. Maybe a bit too runnable for me to do well. Last year was perfect for me (bogs, tussocks, mud).

Sadly I am pretty much already packed and ready with my kit all sorted. Wife broke my spork so thats 4 grams saved. I have punctured my air mat, so that's 300 grams saved. Aim to be near 4.5kg as a solo competitor.

Obviously I will panic the week before and weigh every item I own to shave off a further 2 grams from somewhere.

I'll be there too.
    The SLMM was in that area a few years ago. There was less climb than normal but bogs and fewer paths meant it wasn't as runnable as you fear AJF!
    I remember some intricate knoll detail; but less enjoyable was a long long section through chest high bracken.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

You had a storming first day last year Bill. I was just behind you in standings. What happened on day 2?

Good to hear its not too runnable, something to slow the racing snakes down a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    You had a storming first day last year Bill. I was just behind you in standings. What happened on day 2?
    Thanks, you were going well too!
    My partner John had taken a tumble halfway through the first day. He twisted as he fell and then landed on a rock in the small of his back.
    He got through the rest of the day OK, but it seized up in the night. We went to a couple of controls on the second day and then just walked back.
    Such a shame, but that's the risk when running at pace over tussocky ground with hidden boulders.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

I have seen some strange choices of kit and running partners on Mountain Marathons, but Saturday at about 9.10am at the bottom of Black Coombe!!!
    I thought P & C stood for Parent and Child? not Participant and Cat.
    Don't think Tigger made it to the overnight camp, too many distracting mice in the tussock?
    If you could take a pet on a Mountain Marathon what would you take and why?

Haha! Yes, I saw the cat in the camping field and assumed it was a farm cat wandering around, but spoke to the owner and the intention was for them to do the whole event. She said it would just sit on her shoulders. Not sure what happened to them though.

Going back to AJF's earlier comment, Saturday was brilliant in the clag as it meant we had to nav.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat and Forty View Post
    I have seen some strange choices of kit and running partners on Mountain Marathons, but Saturday at about 9.10am at the bottom of Black Coombe!!!
    I thought P & C stood for Parent and Child? not Participant and Cat.
    Don't think Tigger made it to the overnight camp, too many distracting mice in the tussock?
    If you could take a pet on a Mountain Marathon what would you take and why?

My mates saw cat women returning to camp not long after setting off- apparently the cat insisted in leaping off her shoulders. Funny that. We heard and then saw a rowing couple returning to start through bracken on opposite side of valley- sound seemed to carry a long way in those hills! Clag was good although cost us CP 235 for 20 points. Pity didn't get up Black Combe itself but only worth 20 and ended up repeating many of same Cp's on day 2
    Here's to the laid back fell runner...