Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: bob graham without traini

I am amazed how those who don't put in big long days, and a lot of climbing, as prep, can be successful without cramping up! Or just running into exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Jackson View Post
    I am amazed how those who don't put in big long days, and a lot of climbing, as prep, can be successful without cramping up! Or just running into exhaustion.
    Things like work can make an immense difference, if a person does a hard manual job (farmer, forester, road worker, bin man, anything like that) he is on his feet, outside using his body 8 hours a day and 5 days a week - that counts for a lot in general "toughness" terms, especially when compared to a sedentary job. Those very long days out are not quite so important, that's what I think anyway.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Super Moderator
    My dad was a coal man and basically used to run up and down folks' ginnels with a bag of coal on his back. I spend 20 hours a week in a car and another 10 in meetings. I'm a big believer in "Binman fitness"
    Poacher turned game-keeper

For me, the three essential components of performance are training, nutrition and rest. Doing any two of these very well has, for me, helped overcome any deficiencies in the other. This has applied to anything from AS races to 100 milers.

As Dean Karnazes said "listen to everyone, follow no-one"

It is surely inevitable, that on each attempt the aspirant has a low point. For me it was the Steel Fell to Harrison's section. Knowing that it is usually possible to continue through this (slow down, take onboard extra food and water, lots of morale boosting encouragement, give it time, pop some vitamin I etc.) and come through the other side feeling capable again is massive. Feeling resourceful and positive to deal with the "downs" and not give up is, I believe, the key. This must be hard for an aspirant who has never before encountered this.

Quote Originally Posted by philbrynmaen View Post
    It is surely inevitable, that on each attempt the aspirant has a low point. For me it was the Steel Fell to Harrison's section. Knowing that it is usually possible to continue through this (slow down, take onboard extra food and water, lots of morale boosting encouragement, give it time, pop some vitamin I etc.) and come through the other side feeling capable again is massive. Feeling resourceful and positive to deal with the "downs" and not give up is, I believe, the key. This must be hard for an aspirant who has never before encountered this.
    I'd agree with that Phil. The worst part of the round for me was from the top of Steel Fell through to Rossett and I was fortunate to have a fantastic support team with me that kept my chin up and got me moving. It's times like that when the long days out on the fell really count and I can't believe that I'd have kept on the necessary pace without exposure to days like that.

I remember distinctly coming out of that low period and climbing Bowfell ahead of schedule, clawing back some time I'd lost around the Langdales. My navigator (who I shan't embarrass) was full of praise and it did me a power of good. You need good people around you on a BGR.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

a few years back i paced a leg with a guy who was super fast - turned out he had run London in 2:19 a few years before - but when we got to the rocky stuff over Bowfell he just couldn't run at all.... As other's have said the great thing about the BG (well for me) is the big days training the learning the route the self sufficiency the being in the mountains - but each to their own.

i needed 3 months of 10,000 feet a week to get round in an unremarkable time - I reackon go and do 2 legs back to back and see how that feels / how fast you can go and then you'll have a bench mark to know how much training you need

also what you planning to do about route knowledge? - follow others? or can you navigate fast...

Master
    And, how to get down at various points if it goes pear shaped. its not just a line on a map or GPS!

I have done a few long days on the fells, reccied all but leg 3 and helped out on several rounds and loved all of it, I also love road running and I,m running at a very good standard (for my age 56) so this is my conundrum, can I carry on running fast on the roads without compromise if I put in the time neede for the BGR, I suppose I know the answer and I have to make a descision before long.

You could do hill reps on the mountain roads in the Lake District such as Honister Pass and Wrynose Pass. That way you could still run fast on the roads!