Thread: accident or deliberate

accident or deliberate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42602900

A straight lift or unintended similarity?? I know what I think!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42602900

A straight lift or unintended similarity?? I know what I think!
    "Celebrities" (whatever they are) and their lawyers; are they really worth bothering about when we have our own real lives to get on with?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Ha! made you look though!
    OK, I'm a music lover so this sort of stuff intrigues me. Very often songs sound similar but Im sure its accidental. But in this case?......
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The definitive work on song plagiarism is Clinton Heylin's fascinating 461 page tome "It's One For The Money", which might have been titled "where there's a hit there's a writ".

He writes: "All song Is theft and everyone steals, but interesting people steal more interestingly".

Heylin is the authority on all things Dylan, who has probably stolen more songs than most, but, being Dylan, he usually does do it "interestingly".
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Hmmm - if she was "innocent" surely she wouldn't offer them anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Hmmm - if she was "innocent"
    Ah innocence!

Anyone familiar with Bobby Parker's Watch Your Step ( #51 in the USA in 1961on V-Tone) will know from where the Beatles stole the tune for I Feel Fine, not least because John Lennon admitted it publicly.

Who was Bobby Parker? Born in 1937 (Lafayette, Lousiana) he played guitar and Watch Your Step was his only hit record - if getting to #51 in Billboard is a "hit record". It sold about 7 copies in the UK

But as Paul McCartney said " We used to nick a lot of stuff....especially early Motown. Those kind of records because nobody had heard of them at the time. Only people, groups in the business like the Stones...the Stones and us used to have a quick wink about who'd nicked what".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ah innocence!

Anyone familiar with Bobby Parker's Watch Your Step ( #51 in the USA in 1961on V-Tone) will know from where the Beatles stole the tune for I Feel Fine, not least because John Lennon admitted it publicly.

Who was Bobby Parker? Born in 1937 (Lafayette, Lousiana) he played guitar and Watch Your Step was his only hit record - if getting to #51 in Billboard is a "hit record". It sold about 7 copies in the UK

But as Paul McCartney said " We used to nick a lot of stuff....especially early Motown. Those kind of records because nobody had heard of them at the time. Only people, groups in the business like the Stones...the Stones and us used to have a quick wink about who'd nicked what". And what are the odds of a poor and obscure US back up musician, whose record company has gone bust, suing the Beatles in a British court eh?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtabNAb_wE

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    How times have changed. When Herr Mozart produced a jazzed-up version of Mr Handel's greatest hit (Messiah), everyone recognised that he was paying Handel a great compliment. If he had done that now, he would have had the executors of Handel's estate suing him!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges