Thread: Bowland 1500's

Bowland 1500's

A long day on the hill today as myself and BrentPFR completed an Extended Bowland 1500's trig round on site.
    35 mile 6,100ft in just over 10 hours.

Started in Frosty conditions with a chill wind, intermitent snow flurries. Very wet underfoot otherwise we may have made it round the bigger 1500 spot heights (19) round. Missing the loop out to Cross of Greet from White Hill Trig. I shall return to put that right. This time with a lighter pack.

Can some one tell me what the two towers were used for on White hill?

A bit of local knowledge would have helped, WD (Ian) did give me some pointers to the first climb but from there we were on our own.

Spotted 2 wrecks on route one on Holme House Fell- A Blenhiem, the other was too far to visit at Stony Clough Head? we could see wreckage and a cross?? any one?

A fantastic spot only seeing 3 people on the hill of which two were very lost with a down loaded internet postage size map, they were going to Paddies Pole apparently but we met them heading up Totridge Fell!

Strange to look east and see the yorks PPP bathed in sunshine and to the west Morcombe Bay.

Best described as a wilder pathless Bleaklow, well worth the visit in dryer conditions for a quiet day on the hill. Loads of wildlife to be seen...but why so many seagulls? Bloody noisy.

Must admit to being very pleasantly surprised to it's wildness and a bit pissed off at the incessant fence line bogs

See More info here on the Gofar site including Schedules

http://www.gofar.org.uk/Bowland%201500s.html

Re: Bowland 1500's

Good effort Ian, I've often eyed up those hills when barreling up the M6. Glad you got a good day on the hill. Could do with a couple of those myself.
    pies

I read the sightingt owers on white hill were built int the 20th century to aid the construction of the hawswater aquaduct which runs under white hill. I run up there regulary and very rarely see anybody its an amazing place.

one of the towers
    Attachment 6000

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    I read the sightingt owers on white hill were built int the 20th century to aid the construction of the hawswater aquaduct which runs under white hill. I run up there regulary and very rarely see anybody its an amazing place.
    Correct, andyt. There are actually 3 of them ( all in a perfect line and shown on the OS 1:25,000 ); the 3rd is well to the N, over the convex brow. You need to be an ardent Bowlandologist to go looking for it. Seemingly the metal crossbar, across the top of the "flue" was used to clamp a sighting device ( theodolite? ).
    Good effort Ian, for an "on-sight" visit to Bowland. I'm sure that I've mentioned it previously; the secret to fell top nav in Bowland is to know your fences and be able to recognise your fence junctions.
    The gulls? If you look at the OS 1:25,000 map, you will see an area on the SE flank of Ward's Stone ( at the top of the Tarnbrook Wyre ) named as "The Gullery". They nest in that area between Ward's Stone, Wolfhole Crag and Brennand Great Hill, having spent all day scavenging on various municipal rubbish tips ( notably Salt Ayre between Lancaster and Morecambe ); hence why it is unadvisable to drink from Bowland becks.
    For aircraft wrecks in Bowland, try

http:// www.laituk.org

As far as I'm aware there are 8 crash sites on the Bowland Fells. 3 or 4 years ago, one of our "more forensic" members organised a club run around all 8 in one day. Several wives and girlfriends / partners were quite alarmed at the duration of their abscence.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 16-04-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Good effort Ian, I've often eyed up those hills when barreling up the M6. Glad you got a good day on the hill. Could do with a couple of those myself.
    What you see from the M6 is but a mere glimpse of the interland that lies behind the fascade.

IDP .... just love those fence-line bogs .... it's all part of what keeps Bowland so "quiet" .... and special.:thumbup:

P.S. What about the trig on Hath'net Fell Top ( your first summit )? When did you last see one like that?
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 16-04-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Correct, andyt. There are actually 3 of them ( all in a perfect line and shown on the OS 1:25,000 ); the 3rd is well to the N, over the convex brow. You need to be an ardent Bowlandologist to go looking for it. Seemingly the metal crossbar, across the top of the "flue" was used to clamp a sighting device ( theodolite? ).
    Good effort Ian, for an "on-sight" visit to Bowland. I'm sure that I've mentioned it previously; the secret to fell top nav in Bowland is to know your fences and be able to recognise your fence junctions.
    The gulls? If you look at the OS 1:25,000 map, you will see an area on the SE flank of Ward's Stone ( at the top of the Tarnbrook Wyre ) named as "The Gullery". They nest in that area between Ward's Stone, Wolfhole Crag and Brennand Great Hill, having spent all day scavenging on various municipal rubbish tips ( notably Salt Ayre between Lancaster and Morecambe ); hence why it is unadvisable to drink from Bowland becks.
    Ahh! all we used was water from the becks!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    What you see from the M6 is but a mere glimpse of the interland that lies behind the fascade.

IDP .... just love those fence-line bogs .... it's all part of what keeps Bowland so "quiet" .... and special.:thumbup:

P.S. What about the trig on Hath'net Fell Top ( your first summit )? When did you last see one like that?
    This one..?

Attachment 6001