Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Age 40, any good news?

Re: Age 40, any good news?

Just to be extra clear. That's not a genuine accusation.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    I feel sure that pit ponies were castrated and that dear old grandad was in fact a pervert!
    You're probably right. If I've learnt anything in the last year or so (what with Saville and all that, and now this) it's that often men in their 70s and 80s are massive perverts of one kind or another.
    Geoff Clarke

I agree, he does.. it's just that the name holds bad associations for me. When i worked in New Zealand in 2002 we had a patient called Chester, a Scottie terrier who was a prize winning show dog. He was apparently Scottie royalty and his owner's wanted to cash in on this by using him as a stud. The only flaw in their lucrative plan was that Chester was 100% homosexual.. a bitch in heat did nothing for him. Undeterred, they asked us to do artificial insemination every time Chester's services were required. It fell to me to do this task on a regular basis, on account of me, for reasons i know not, getting the largest and quickest samples (and it was my first time ). In the end Chester would start dry humping at the mere sight of me gloving up. I am not proud of this and it is not what i went to vet school for! So every time i hear the word Chester i am reminded of these events which have scarred my psyche.. even driving round the Chester ring road is stressful. So there is no way in hell i am having a dog of that name in my house for the next 13 years.. it has to change!!
    What a tale!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I agree, he does.. it's just that the name holds bad associations for me. When i worked in New Zealand in 2002 we had a patient called Chester, a Scottie terrier who was a prize winning show dog. He was apparently Scottie royalty and his owner's wanted to cash in on this by using him as a stud. The only flaw in their lucrative plan was that Chester was 100% homosexual.. a bitch in heat did nothing for him. Undeterred, they asked us to do artificial insemination every time Chester's services were required. It fell to me to do this task on a regular basis, on account of me, for reasons i know not, getting the largest and quickest samples (and it was my first time ). In the end Chester would start dry humping at the mere sight of me gloving up. I am not proud of this and it is not what i went to vet school for! So every time i hear the word Chester i am reminded of these events which have scarred my psyche.. even driving round the Chester ring road is stressful. So there is no way in hell i am having a dog of that name in my house for the next 13 years.. it has to change!!
    Hell fire. I had no idea this sort of thing went on, I have obviously lead a sheltered life. I was born in Chester so thankfully it has happy associations for me. I now understand fully your name change. You many now commence the name sweep...I will start the ball rolling with Eli....as in Eli Wallach.

Happy birthday to me. I'm going for a long dog walk, bike ride, out for lunch, shopping, dinner with mates.. bring it on. Only 3 sleeps til my new dog!! I'm going to call him Ceathrad, the gaelic for forty. It sounds phonetically similar to Chester so it should be an easy change.. Have already ordered him a new collar and bungee running lead My transformation to the mad old dog lady of Tod is now complete. Hurrah!

Happy Birthday Longdogs, sounds like you have a great day planned. Its my big 50 soon - yikes, I am planning on going into hiding in the Lakes with a big cake.

Quote Originally Posted by SCharm View Post
    Happy Birthday Longdogs, sounds like you have a great day planned. Its my big 50 soon - yikes, I am planning on going into hiding in the Lakes with a big cake.
    50.. you have to do 50 miles in the Lakes then. I'm glad to be relieved of the obligation to run 40 miles today as Wasdale race in 48 hours.. phew!

Spent my 50th attempting a JNC and am sure I would have made it were it not for the driving rain and wind lifting me off me feet (I will go back and try again some time)
    Now in 52nd year and doing 52 ultras in 52 weeks (plus 3 MMs that won't be long eough to count but should be fun)
    Have run my longest race ever this year of over 110 miles

Yes I seem to take longer to mend etc but it is not stoppig me doing stuff and I forget how old I am and just pretend.
    I am still a big kid and like getting muddy, still forget that several pints or bottles is not a good idea.....

Hippo Birdy LD!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Happy Birthday H. Looking forward to a beer (and a swim?) after Wasdale on Saturday.