Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultramarathon advice

Ultramarathon advice

Hello all, I'm aiming to complete a double crossing of the Lyke Wake in 2008. I have researched the training needed,(www.ultrunr.co.uk is great) . I did the LWW last yr and doing it this year along with some marathons and LDWA events. My doubt is how long do u think my longest run should be prior to the 84 miles of the double lww. I thought two thirds would be good but an ultra before an ultra seems overkill and may be overtraining, any ideas?
    My weekly totals will be in the 70 to 100 mile p wk range including some quality fells.

Re: Ultramarathon advice

It depends what you're aiming for really. If you just want "get you round" fitness, then you can get away with a lot less than a 2/3rds distance training run. I did my WHW run (95 miles) in 2005 with a 27 miler as my longest run and before Christmas with a 38 miler.

I know an ultra runner who never trains longer than 3 hrs working on the basis that recovery time starts eating into training time if your long runs are too long.

I would have prefered to have been able to clock up higher weekly mileages than my peak of 60 miles because I sure I would have slowed less if I had.

I think if you're in the 70-100 range you shouldn't have any problem. Mentally, I'd find it hard to reach the end of a 42 miler and then turn round and run all the way back, I prefer A to B where every step is progressing you towards the finish. At least you'll know exactly where the halfway point is though.

Any particular reason for this run or just a personal challenge?

Cheers Running Fool. Your mates idea about recovery is interesting. I'm just doing it 'cos it's there' lol. I suppose i'm doing it because i'm not sure i can do it, if that makes any sense. We all know we can complete smaller fell races in various times (mine usually slower) but, the challenge is not knowing if you can do something , then trying to do it. Well done on WHW , i fancied it , walked it a few times, lovely walk. Slept on floor in Doune Bothy (not recommended , very uncomfortable).

Most I know don't train much over 30, as that distance can be ran without any harm being done. I've done 40 ish a few times but that's more to get used to the mental side of the game. Other times I've ran 40 or 50 miles have been other ultras. Try and build up a port folio of runs, they are cheap to do and make the logistics easier, buit also allow you to qualify for other international events, especially the US ultras which want qualifying times.

I run 40 - 60 mpw but with around 3000 m of ascent, but the long hill days are very useful, a 10 hr hill day leaves me stiff but I can recover quickly as I havn't done that much milage and the tarrain has varied, on contrast a 6 hr trail run really does leave me in pain.

Master

Another question on the same theme would it be a good or bad idea to run the Fellsman on the 12th may then the WHW race on 22/23 june.

My long runs at the moment are between 25-30 mostly off road miles, which are not yet causing discomfort.

I need all the advice i can get
    The older I get the Faster I was

It depends on how you are training, you can do an Ultra before an Ultra as long as you've got the long runs in your legs you should be able to run an Ultra and Bounce into training for the next one. Also the distance in Ultras varies considerably for example training for a 30 miler is completly different to training for a 6 day challenge and the two distances are different specialities in there own right. I've personaly only ever cover 100k and no further, although I would like to do a 24hr race its said to be very difficult to come back down in distance after running one.

Typically I would recommend 2 long key sessions a week i.e 1 on a Wenesday and the Other Saturday. Still do some speed work as in 3 x 10 mins and even that sort of speed work won't take any from your legs if your doing the distance work as well. But basically Ultra Training is about making your long runs your key sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Another question on the same theme would it be a good or bad idea to run the Fellsman on the 12th may then the WHW race on 22/23 june.
    I would have thought they would be very compatible with each other. 6 or more weeks in between should be sufficient time to recover, especially if you are used to doing long runs anyway.

Master

Thanks guys your comments are in line with my thoughts With the only difference being my long run is done on a Friday (i dont work fridays) but i guess i could put another in on a Tuesday, but its difficult to avoid tarmac on week nights this time of year, and i hate long runs on tarmac but then i guess i could go off road night training although that would inevitably be slower.

Thoughts Please
    The older I get the Faster I was

Great thread this.

Dont know how to help you much John-but find it fascinating reading the thoughts of the peope who do.

I read several books over Christmas to do with people who undertake these absurdly long events and find im both horrified and intrigued at the same time!

it's nearly all in the mind , big bad baz, the training is the hard bit, u HAVE to run no matter what the weather or commitments, means less beer (shame) but u cant do both, well i can't. The 'race ' is great cos like fell races, peolple help each other, share food , water etc. I carried a blokes rucksack cos he was jiggered for a while. I guess it's more , will i finish, not what time. I'll never win a fell race but i love the whole ultra and only if off road, i'd never do a track 24 hr that would be too hard.