Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Atrial Fibrillation

Enjoy this weekend Daz, try not to 'listen' to the imagined hops, skips and jumps your heart may make and celebrate when your rate drops sweetly at the end of the race!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    Thanks Guys
    doing regular slow jogs now
    intend to try Wirksworth Incline next weekend (will probably keep the sweeper company but gotta start somewhere!)
    will play it by ear after that, but haven't ruled out certain longer events later in the year...
    Nice one Daz and long may your recovery continue and your confidence grow
    Charmian Heaton

That's fantastic news Daz! Look forward to seeing you bumbling around Bullock Smithy! If you fancy having just a walk round Karen would love your company, and you might get her under the 20 hours she wants to get around in.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Just resurrecting this thread.

My background is that I used to get the odd tachycardia attack in my early 20s Always put it down to drinking, smoking and party drugs. In my thirties it was terrible at times and I put it down to the drink and smoking. I finally quit the drink 5 years ago and took up running. Within a year I was getting them when running and occasionally at night

Then three years ago I was getting them regularly, Fast and hard for days on end. In hindsight I should of gone to the doctors then but I put it down to caffiene and sugar. I finally went to the doctors and took a heart rate trace off my ambit. He referred me to the cardio

I had one attempt at the ablation and this was unsuccessful as he could not track the reentry (I think that is what he said). I was then put under another cardiologist and he promised to get this sorted. So August 2015 I went back and spent nearly 5 hours in the Cath lab. He managed to chase down the cause on the left side but the right side was a problem and he was not sure about the right side

Fast forward to now and I get a couple of "attacks" when I run. I stop straight away and get the heart rate down. I can then carry on running. It is annoying as it really limits my fitness as I think it affects the stroke volume. Come to the conclusion that I will never be as fast as I can be and will have to stick to the long steady stuff.

I go back to the cardio this weds to have another holter monitor out on. Will push for the albation again

A few people have been asking me how I am since my heart helpfully tripped out on me back at the beginning of March (after 3 solid months of good training )
    Thankyou all for your concern , and to save repeating myself I will summarise here:

My heart "self-righted" after 6 days, but decided to get it fixed anyway
    I had my "ablation" procedure 2 weeks ago and it went fully to plan
    I am now doing regular short jogs and will be steadily increasing my training over the next few weeks
    Hoping to return to racing near end of May/early June...
    seesyall out there
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    A few people have been asking me how I am since my heart helpfully tripped out on me back at the beginning of March (after 3 solid months of good training )
    Thankyou all for your concern , and to save repeating myself I will summarise here:

My heart "self-righted" after 6 days, but decided to get it fixed anyway
    I had my "ablation" procedure 2 weeks ago and it went fully to plan
    I am now doing regular short jogs and will be steadily increasing my training over the next few weeks
    Hoping to return to racing near end of May/early June...
    seesyall out there
    Great to hear Daz.
    2 weeks is good, my doctor wouldn't let me run for 4 weeks and then only slow runs...some would say that's all I have in me now..

right!
    my cardiologist said no racing for 8 weeks... so it's now 10... so guess it's time to get back out there!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

This is dead interesting - had on/off AF for years, undiagnosed, then diagnosed Sept '14 - then I had AF solid for over 6 months which just stopped any exercise at all, cardio version may '15, ablation July '15. couldnt push it on any runs for rest of the year,but I have done a bit more on the flat but my times are well poor. I've heard it can take 6 months + for the ablation scars to heal. However I've made some progress in the last two months so maybe I'm not ruling out a return to the fells just yet. Reading your accounts and your efforts gives me hope thanks guys ����

After ablation

Quote Originally Posted by alanj View Post
    This is dead interesting - had on/off AF for years, undiagnosed, then diagnosed Sept '14 - then I had AF solid for over 6 months which just stopped any exercise at all, cardio version may '15, ablation July '15. couldnt push it on any runs for rest of the year,but I have done a bit more on the flat but my times are well poor. I've heard it can take 6 months + for the ablation scars to heal. However I've made some progress in the last two months so maybe I'm not ruling out a return to the fells just yet. Reading your accounts and your efforts gives me hope thanks guys ����
    Hello, I have lots of fellow-feeling as I suffered for years from paroxysmal AF, currently controlled by taking Flecainide, but I fear I will probably end up having an ablation. HERE is a post from the blog of the electro-physiologist John Mandrola, who as well as being a very thoughtful writer is a keen amateur cyclist and himself suffers from AF. Very best wishes for your future in running.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Didn't realise you'd had a bit of a set back Daz!! Glad to see you're re-recovering good luck. We'll almost certainly be at Bullock Smithy again, might see you there!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com