Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fellrunning article

Fellrunning article

from UKHillwalking.com:
    http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=4518Personally I was unaware there were guides like this (a sort of cross between a personal trainer and a climbing guide)

Guessing the author may be on the forum somewhere?

Graham

Re: Fellrunning article

They are regulars here. Mountain running coaching is UKA sponsored/sanctioned. Check out this thread for some more info:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...g-coaching-day
    Last edited by Rodders; 12-04-2012 at 09:40 AM.

and just to wind IainR up

I'm not sure that the FRA would say they are there to "promote" fell running in each of the Home Countries. They are there to oversee it - the custodians of it perhaps - but shy away from promotion.

"A running guide should be ML qualified" - I would say it depends on the context and the terrain - not all fell running takes place in Snowdonia. Also, Qualifications are over hyped - I'd quite happily spend some time in the Lakes with Joss and I doubt he has a certificate and I'm sure there's plenty of Clayton Runners who are competent to guide on Pendle Hill.
    I would suggest that a Running Guide should have appropriate experience for the terrain in which they are guiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    They are regulars here. Mountain running coaching is UKA sponsored/sanctioned. Check out this thread for some more info:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...g-coaching-day
    Cheers. For my own numpty knowledge, what is Mountain Running defined as? Does it encompass more continental style trail-running as well as 'off-piste' fell running?

Quote Originally Posted by jopari View Post
    Cheers. For my own numpty knowledge, what is Mountain Running defined as? Does it encompass more continental style trail-running as well as 'off-piste' fell running?
    well, there's low-level trail running on the contient, like there is here, and trail running in the mountains, so the latter would be classed as mountain running or 'sky running'.
    As you say, not much off-piste stuff over the channel (if any?).

quite a good piece that overall
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 12-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.

I enjoyed it, Interesting he mentioned the road running. I have just started driving to work early to do a flat run on a discussed railway line from Trafford Park out towards Wigan. I get in 10 or 12 miles 1 or 2 mornings a week. Using runkeeper to keep my pace up is great I reckon it is doing wonders for me.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 12-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    and just to wind IainR up

I'm not sure that the FRA would say they are there to "promote" fell running in each of the Home Countries. They are there to oversee it - the custodians of it perhaps - but shy away from promotion.

"A running guide should be ML qualified" - I would say it depends on the context and the terrain - not all fell running takes place in Snowdonia. Also, Qualifications are over hyped - I'd quite happily spend some time in the Lakes with Joss and I doubt he has a certificate and I'm sure there's plenty of Clayton Runners who are competent to guide on Pendle Hill.
    I would suggest that a Running Guide should have appropriate experience for the terrain in which they are guiding.
    Erm.. apart from the FRA specifically say they are there to promote.. only Graham says they don't.. google 'fell running association'.. what does it say? "Organisation co-ordinating and promoting fell (i.e. hill/mountain) running in the UK."

But yeah I put that in to get a reaction from numpties on here.. I'm dissapointed it took so long..

Re self promotion.. eh? First paragraphs maybe.. then saying how we aim o be redundant.. then that's about it..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Erm.. apart from the FRA specifically say they are there to promote.. only Graham says they don't.. google 'fell running association'.. what does it say? "Organisation co-ordinating and promoting fell (i.e. hill/mountain) running in the UK."

But yeah I put that in to get a reaction from numpties on here.. I'm dissapointed it took so long..

Re self promotion.. eh? First paragraphs maybe.. then saying how we aim o be redundant.. then that's about it..
    I thought it was a really good article.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

self promo wasn't me by the way.

There is of course many different ways to promote and by merely putting out a calendar with race info on they are promoting I suppose, but I view the FRA's style of promotion as being quite passive.
    Quite different say from the various UKA/EA initiatives where it's a numbers game.

The numpty comment is a bit unfortunate Iain - no one on the thread has been disparaging towards you and comments like that aren't going to make you many friends.

Aye.. but there are on here.. people who'd rather talk than run.. then you have the big men... Mr Anonymous.. the throw the threats/abuse yet hide behind anonymity..the Grump the prime example of such cowardice..

TBH though, I'd disagree with re you need for ML.. you have experience.. so can judge experience.. if you enter the sport with no experience.. what do you look for? I know people claiming to be top level runners off 1:40 Snowdon race times.. that's what they are calling experience.. So what do you judge experience is.. and are they first aid qualified? You know an ML is. Group management? ability to navigate? TBH i'm not sure a high level fell running career necessarily shows you can navigate or teach navigation.. I can name at least one of the best in Britain who openly admits he hasn't a clue re navigation.. in fact I think he's since been on one of our courses..

But anyway, re promotion.. its just semantics.. but yes the FRA do promote the sport.. you can go back and forth what that actually means and what we think it should mean, but the bottom line is they do promote.. all I said.. they are set up to promote fell running.. so you are now saying I'm right...