Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strava

Strava

I have just left strava after 4 years of uploading my runs/races etc. Although I have found it a motivational tool, I was becoming increasingly obsessed with it which in turn distracted from the true essence of running and training for yourself, not other people. There are also lots of ego's which are looking to be massaged! I've phased it out by flagging runs as private but I reckon cold turkey is the way forward.

Any thoughts on strava?

JB

I'm quite good at not paying much attention to it - everything is auto-uploaded (although I do hide something if it gives away my lines!) - It's good to see what holidays people are on if nothing else!
    I get a bit more involved with logging training on Attackpoint.

I have recently deactivated my Facebook account however.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Ah, the joys of being an old fart who hasn't a clue about all this modern ICT, and can just go out running for the sheer joy of it, without anyone else knowing where I am going (apart from the picnicking couple who I nearly stepped on today while I was paying attention to where I was putting my feet among the rocks on Buck Hill).

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    - It's good to see what holidays people are on if nothing else!
    Handy for burglars then!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I've had a bit of a love hate relationship with it. I used to get quite hung up stats and think I probably overdid it on occasion trying to beat various segment records etc. Had a break from it and now using it again but probably due to my increasing years, don't take much notice of the stats anymore. I just use it for keeping a record of cycle rides and runs etc. and seeing what friends are up to.
    The flybys are great for fell races though - seeing everyone else's lines and the chaos that can ensue when the clag comes down - great fun!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Handy for burglars then!
    No joke - my boss had his bike nicked from home and the police suspected it was a Strava stalker.
    If you have a public account you should definitely enable all the privacy settings.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

turning off notifications (for any social media, messages and emails, not just strava) is a healthy thing to do generally.

but if you still get sucked into an un-healthy relationship with it then yes, why not go cold turkey.

if you upload to Garmin you'll have all your stats there anyway without the social networking side of it.

If I'm on holiday then I don't upload activities until I get back home. It's also worth setting up privacy zones around home and work. I also list my bikes as "road bike", "commuter", etc. rather than "Top of the range superduper" or "This is worth nicking".

The only notifications I get are "Your KOM was taken by ..." <sigh>

Like the OP I got a little obsessed with it early on but once I realised that the only person I was competing with was the one I saw in the mirror each morning I chilled out a bit. It's mainly for recording stuff now. But if you want geekery then check out Veloviewer! All the data about your rides you never knew existed.
    Last edited by Bob; 25-08-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I love Stava! I enjoy the stats side and seeing how I'm doing. If on holiday I dont upload it till I get home. Bit of a stat nerd but I dont hurt anyone and I do it for me. I rarely get Queen of the Mountain but it's great when I get in the top 10. I never go out and target a segment as I can never remember what time I'm after when running anyway.

As for the flyby's on races they are so funny! "Bloody hell, where is he going?" or mmmmm that's a pretty good line!" Love it. It's just a bit of fun for me. Although on the Vuelta tonight there was a chap where a Strava segment was seen by a Team manager and he got offered a position as a professional bike rider . Life changed :-)

If you enjoy Strava, then carry on. If you dont then fine but dont stamp on the fun of those that do :-)

I also like Strava. It's a good way of keeping in touch with running/cycling friends who you don't see often. The flybys is great (though a wee bit stalkerish!) and have actually made a couple of good friends in other parts of the country by following them on Strava after bumping into them on runs whilst on holiday.

I don't like the way it rounds down though! If you run 9.99 miles it tells you it was 9.9, not 10! (and yes, I'm a bit OCD!)