Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things people have said

Re: Stupid things people have

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Maybe southerners are more accepting of people with different outlooks and habits than northerners?
    But southerners don't speak to anybody, full stop

Maybe the substantially lower obesity rate down south means there's less envy and resentment around?
    On the other hand, fish and chips down south is completely crap

Or maybe some people just invite confrontation?
    Thats a bit confrontational if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I have asked myself that many times in the later stages of a long run
    It doesn't have to be fun to be fun.

I think 'stupid comments' are just part of life. I'm sure most of us have been washing our cars (or similar) to be told by a passerby 'You can come and do mine, next'.

Oh ho ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    I'm sure most of us have been washing our cars (or similar) to be told by a passerby 'You can come and do mine, next'.

Oh ho ho.
    Oops, I think that was me, sorry!!
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    I think 'stupid comments' are just part of life. I'm sure most of us have been washing our cars (or similar) to be told by a passerby 'You can come and do mine, next'.

Oh ho ho.
    Or 'what's the point - it will only get dirty again and you could be spending the time going for a run'

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFaulkner View Post
    Stupid things?

'Come on - keep going'
    Good point. There's nowt so 'encouraging' as a marshall or photographer offering such advice ('y'er can walk when y'er dead'...) when you're in that hands-on-knees, vomit-in-mouth, kill-me-now phase.

You have been warned! I intend to marshall at certain races this year and will be offering all the 'encouragement' I can to those that have given theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Usually at the back View Post
    I went to my doctor a few years ago with a hamstring problem, he told me to go home stop running and be a mother and a housewife, the comment didn't sink in until I had left the surgery, needless to say I try and avoid him now
    Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    The last 'Doctor' I saw (I only went to get a referral for private treatment) told me that at 42 I should pack in running and do non-impact sports such as swimming.... Sometimes I think Christopher Leigh is right and we should be able to opt out of funding the NHS. I didn't get a referral and I paid to get private physio. (although he was useless and I wouldn't go there again!)

I F****liping hate swimmimg!
    When I was young and hadn't been diagnosed with Crohn's I was struggling to eat much and my weight was around 9 stone (I'm 5'11"), I went to one doctor who suggested I needed to eat more butter on my sandwiches and add fat to meals. What a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post

My girlfriend once drew the distinction between runners and joggers, putting me in the latter camp. Fair to say it spurred me on!
    My definition of a jogger is someone who reluctantly runs because they feel they should to help lose weight, or just so they can say they run, but they don't actually enjoy it at all. Whereas, a runner is someone who will run for the sake of running, regardless of any of the other benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    To be fair some comments are probably well deserved. I was running off of Ingleborough on Saturday, stumbling down through the rubble and crap near the top, having done something like 25 miles of a 28 miler around the 3 peaks when this really jovial lady walker said "be honest, do you really enjoy running".

I suspect that I may have had mix of my high concentration 'monkey face' and 'my god I'm fooked face' on and not surprisingly she will have jumped to the conclusion that I couldn't possibly have been enjoying myself
    My club captain used to go into the same paper shop each morning after his run and the shopkeeper once said to him "do you enjoy running?" he replied "yes" and the shopkeeper said "why do you always look so effing miserable then?"
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    My definition of a jogger is someone who reluctantly runs because they feel they should to help lose weight, or just so they can say they run, but they don't actually enjoy it at all. Whereas, a runner is someone who will run for the sake of running, regardless of any of the other benefits.
    That's really good

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    My club captain used to go into the same paper shop each morning after his run and the shopkeeper once said to him "do you enjoy running?" he replied "yes" and the shopkeeper said "why do you always look so effing miserable then?"
    And that's really funny
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

There have been occasions when, half a mile into an uphill start, I have thought 'I am not sure I really like running' but that feeling usually only lasts for a mile or so and then my body catches up and everything is good again (even when it hurts). Sometimes I think I am the happiest I can be when the sun is shining, the land stretches before me and the running feels effortless. Its worth a hundred dodgy, niggly & exhausting runs to get that feeling but those other times I can imagine people see me grimacing and wonder why I do it...they just need to see me on the good days! (plus...as we all know, there is pleasure in just getting out there regardless of how hard it feels).
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

In general, I really like marshalls, no matter what they say. I am just pleased that they are willing to stand in some exposed spot and count us in and out but it does make me laugh when you hear one say to a runner...'don't worry, its all downhill now' and you know the course and the fact that there is at least two more hills to come that they seem to have forgotten about!

Quote Originally Posted by Howgill Tarrier View Post
    Good point. There's nowt so 'encouraging' as a marshall or photographer offering such advice ('y'er can walk when y'er dead'...) when you're in that hands-on-knees, vomit-in-mouth, kill-me-now phase.

You have been warned! I intend to marshall at certain races this year and will be offering all the 'encouragement' I can to those that have given theirs.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Master

Just had a blinder here, primate of the century material.
    So I'm sat packing my stuff to go down south in the morning and just listening to the radio. ENTER Denise from Gorton (I should have known it would be comedy gold at that point). She complains to the presenter 'can you be quieter I've got a migraine. Now I'm a liberal guy but surely if ever there was an argument for euthanasia, said Denise epitomises it. What a moron.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before