Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fron Four 30th Mar 2013

Fron Four

Will be up in N Wales over Easter and I see that Fron Four race is on. Not familiar with this corner of Snowdonia but I imagine race might be similar to Moel Eilio. Anyone got any views on it??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Re: Fron Four

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Will be up in N Wales over Easter and I see that Fron Four race is on. Not familiar with this corner of Snowdonia but I imagine race might be similar to Moel Eilio. Anyone got any views on it??
    Good area.. not to similar to Eilio.. despite its proximity.. not so grassy.. more rocks and heather..

Bit of a contrived route over the 4 summits of Mynydd Mawr really. Rarely visited area and some stunning views.

Potential to get lost..

thinking of doing this myself,but i agree with Iain the course is a bit contrived could be better set with the 4 summits being Tryfan,Smytho,Craig Cwm Bychan and Mynydd Mawr, run as a loop. As it is ,it just confuses the runners and marshals when the mist is down

Got lost again this year!!

Well, I really enjoyed it. Yes, the mist spoilt the spectacle and some of the snow drifts at the end were very energy sapping. But overall a classic little race. A great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Hope to return when the weather is better.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Other runners thought the clag made it!!!

Would do it again whatever the weather!

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Good running people, I see there's a quick report on the Eryri site.

"Where did all that mist come from and a hour after Dils finished it was clear as a bell! Husband and wife team of Rob and Lisa Grantham made full use of their Cwm y Glo Ty Haf to win their categories,Rob making the most of last years memories when he was 2nd to Matt Fortes winning in record time while Lisa hung on to Phil Tan all the way round only to sprint pass on the run in, cachwr ! Other notable runs saw Fred Maier 4th,new u23 rec,Adam Haynes 6th,new M50 & Ellie 27th new F50 rec.Thanks to Fron school for hosting us and the marshalls without the race could not go ahead, full results to follow."

& results;
    http://www.eryriharriers.org.uk/docu...da0270605b.pdf

Can any Welsh speaker translate "cachwr" for me? Many thanks.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Ian,
    Cachwr means Coward in Welsh.not sure i`d use the word in this context though.i think she took full advantage of other peoples local knowlage,did`nt know there was a `no drafting `rule in fell running??

Absolutely rocksteady. Phil and Lisa were not far behind me all the way until the last visit to the summit. 4 of us all then charged down the last descent together . Phil took exactly the line I plotted into the quarries but then I was glad to follow him as we climbed up past the walls. I faded then but Lisa obviously gained strength and took Phil somewhere near the finish. It,s a personal thing. We all gain by following others in one way or another. Speaking for myself, if I know I have benefitted from following another I would not sprint past them in the run-in unless someone else was likely to run past us both....then I would defend my position.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Ian,
    Cachwr means Coward in Welsh.not sure i`d use the word in this context though.i think she took full advantage of other peoples local knowlage,did`nt know there was a `no drafting `rule in fell running??
    Cheers for that Dylan.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.