Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inov8 Mudclaws 300 - Red

I liked the 265 too but they can't have been perfect. brands will always change their range to maximize share of the market. they've been clever this time by marketing the new x-talon 225 for the shorter fell races and the x-claw 275 for longer fell running. guess what - I'm a sucker and I've bought both (because i'll get 500 miles out of each pair) and guess what - I rate them both very highly for shorter/longer fell runs respectively. I'm considering using the x-claw for the Haworth hobble this weekend if I think on balance the muddy areas tip the balance over the parts of the route that favour a train shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Agreed.

I used the X-talon 190's for Glencoe Skyline with zero issues, so comfort was never a problem, it's just that the grip isn't sufficient for very wet, steep races. The mudclaw is sufficient, but now they've stopped producing the 'racing' version of these. The X-claw is marketed for longer 'runs' and is perhaps too cushioned for some who prefer the feel of the ground. So, do Inov-8 actually produce a true fell 'racing' shoe any more?

I love their products but seems to me that they're becoming almost a parody of themselves with the excess range of shoes with marginal weight differences, yet moving away from their original core market. Appreciate that in general fell runners are a more tightfisted bunch than crossfitters, but still...

I've got the X-Talon 225 at the moment which I would class as a 'fell racing shoe'. They are great to run in and they do have grip but they didn't give me the same confidence for the steep slippy descent at Cautley yesterday that I would have had in the Mudclaw 265. I won't be getting the Mudclaw 300 as they are cumbersome, fluorescent and have a 6mm drop.

I went over to the dark side and tried the Salomon S-Lab Speed when they first stopped the 265. The S-Lab speed was great to run in and had excellent grip but they fell apart after less than six months. I see a lot of complaints that Inov-8s don't last very long but I've always been satisfied with mine.

Overall I am happy with the X-Talon 225 but I think I'd go back to the Mudclaw 265 if they started making them again.
    Last edited by wjb; 06-03-2017 at 09:30 PM.

The current 300 is pretty much the same shoe as the old 265. Despite the name, apparently they actually weigh the same

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    The current 300 is pretty much the same shoe as the old 265. Despite the name, apparently they actually weigh the same
    The 265 were closer to the ground and had a lower drop than the 300. The 265 were so good as they were like running in X-Talons with the grip of a Mudclaw!

RichardB - agree! My size 7.5 Mudclaw weigh 263g. Drop is more than the 265, but I still stick by what I said earlier that the flat profile makes for better grip than the old 300, despite the shallower lugs....

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    RichardB - agree! My size 7.5 Mudclaw weigh 263g. Drop is more than the 265, but I still stick by what I said earlier that the flat profile makes for better grip than the old 300, despite the shallower lugs....
    The small differences in weight aren't really an issue for me, but I got used to the 3mm drop of the Mudclaw 265.

Maybe sales of X-Talons were falling so they took away the 265 which was the best of both worlds!

I have the red 300 - and like them.

They are, I think, an attempt to combine the best of the 265 and the old 300. IE I used to like the 265 because of the low drop, which meant I was much less likely to twist my ankle, and also liked their light weight, but wished they had more stud length. The new 300 has a longer stud, and more cushioning than the 265, but sits lower to the ground and is more stable, and lighter, than the old 300.

At least you can buy the old style 300 if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrun View Post
    I have the red 300 - and like them.

They are, I think, an attempt to combine the best of the 265 and the old 300. IE I used to like the 265 because of the low drop, which meant I was much less likely to twist my ankle, and also liked their light weight, but wished they had more stud length. The new 300 has a longer stud, and more cushioning than the 265, but sits lower to the ground and is more stable, and lighter, than the old 300.

At least you can buy the old style 300 if you want it.
    I have the X-Talon 225 now which are great because of the lower drop. I originally went over to Salomon when they stopped the 265 but they weren't as good as Inov-8 for me. The x-talon 225 is great for the drier months but in the winter I sometimes wished I was wearing mudclaws on slippery descents. Not enough to compromise on the drop height though.