Page 350 of 457 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352360400450 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 4562

Thread: Today's Wildlife Encounter

I've seen very few butterflies this year. In fact my first Peacock was at about 900m in Scotland a few weeks back. However, last night we had a walk from Castleton, along the ridge from Lose Hill to Hollins Cross and we saw Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Wall, Red Admiral and maybe some others I've forgotten about! Where have they all been?

Apart from that, though, devastating scenes above Dove Stone Reservoir on Saddleworth Moor. It's going to take years for the wildlife to recover from this.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Buzzard perched on a fence post near the road from Copt Oak to Beacon Hill.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Cormorant on the Peak Forest Canal near New Mills, both this morning and yesterday morning.

A wildlife non-encounter. Has anyone else noticed the lack of moths around during these warm, balmy evenings.Very strange.

My office is right on the busy Birmingham ring road. Hardly wildlife central. But we have a few nests on the roof. One is a seagull nest and one of the young ones appears to have fell out. I understand that the mother will no longer look after it when it falls out. So it has been moping around on the ground for a few days, we have been feeding and watering it. Didn't see it yesterday, and there were a fair number of young feathers around on the floor, so sadly I suspect a fox or cat may have got it in the night.

21.00 yesterday evening, around the top of Alder Gill Syke, on the upper slopes of Burn Moor, northern edge of Bowland, a merlin flew within 30 metres of us, just skimming along, a metre or so above the heather
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A wildlife non-encounter. Has anyone else noticed the lack of moths around during these warm, balmy evenings.Very strange.
    It has been moth bonanza back in mid Wales, wife has the trap out several times a week and recording up to 50 species in a night. But has to be perfect conditions, warm, muggy but also dark as they don't like a moon.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    It has been moth bonanza back in mid Wales, wife has the trap out several times a week and recording up to 50 species in a night. But has to be perfect conditions, warm, muggy but also dark as they don't like a moon.
    Its been warm but not muggy here yet, so maybe that's why. As soon as the moths are about I'll be off to spot some nightjars.

We went up Carnedd Dafydd from Bethesda yesterday and were surprised to find several Chough feeding up there. Does anyone know how unusual it is to find them so far inland, and at about 650m?

Super Moderator
    Great spot Geoff. I had no idea they were seen in the UK inland but have seen them on the Brévent while I was walking the TMB