Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigger Tor

Re: Tigger Tor

Blimey, a very differernt route.

How to get from Ox Stones to the corner of the woods? I'm not familar with Burbage Moor, but I don't think its runnable directly across? Is back to Houndkirk Road the only sensible route?

(edit : forgive my ignorance on this. Its looks like from google earth that its a lot more runnable than I'd thought straight across. That'll be tomorrow's reccy then.)
    Last edited by RichK; 12-01-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    Blimey, a very differernt route.

How to get from Ox Stones to the corner of the woods? I'm not familar with Burbage Moor, but I don't think its runnable directly across? Is back to Houndkirk Road the only sensible route?

(edit : forgive my ignorance on this. Its looks like from google earth that its a lot more runnable than I'd thought straight across. That'll be tomorrow's reccy then.)
    Several of the checkpoints are the same. I've plotted the route on the digital map and it comes out at 9 miles and 1550ft ascent. This is assuming my picked the best route between the checkpoints. This compares with 10.3 miles and 1850ft ascent last year. At least it doesn't go to any of the summits twice this time.

Would you be able to e-mail me your tracklog after your reccy? Let me know if you want an image of my plot of the route.

I only had a bit of an amble round burbage moor this morning, just three miles - it would be an embarassment to post my GPS for today! But I will be doing the whole thing tomorrow, hangover permitting (maybe missing out Houndkirk Hill COS I'M A WIMP).

Would love to see your plot of the route; I'm still not clear how to get from Oxstones to the third check.

Um .. I'm a bit of a newbie to fell running but I am an experienced orienteer. I have entered this race but I am confused. Can you choose your own route?? That would certainly add an interesting navigational element (from my point of view). In that case, what is meant by the bit in the details about having to follow marked route across private land - how much of the route is this? Some of the GRs don't seem to make sense e.g. is the 5th point supposed to be at the path junction or the mapped (1:25000) boulder? Are roads out of bounds? (otherwise do we have a procession along the very busy A6187 after visiting 7, to Toad's Mouth?) Are we supposed (expected) to carry a map?
    Sorry about all the questions ; here's an answer - I was at an orienteering event at Burbage before Christams and I recall that the moor was quite runnable (that's a relative term of course!)
    Regards for any info and advice.

On my orienteering map it shows an indistinct path running most of the way from Oxstones to Burbage rocks. It might be an advantage to have an orienteering map for some parts of the course - is this allowed (see my other post)?

Well the instructions on the entry form say you have to carry a map but don't specify which so an orientiering map should be ok. It does say you can't use the road between checkpoints (this would be a safety issue) From memory the private land is between Sheephill road and the rugby club where the flagged route must be followed.

Hi Redhead, I'm not very experienced, but as far as I know:

> Can you choose your own route??

Yep, apart from the marked section.

>In that case, what is meant by the bit in the details about having to follow marked route across private land - how much of the route is this?

From the Rugby Club to Checkpoint 1 is a marked section and has to be followed - from there the fell's yer oyster.

> Some of the GRs don't seem to make sense e.g. is the 5th point supposed
    > to be at the path junction or the mapped (1:25000) boulder?

Not sure on this one; I would also treat the GR's with suspicion as last year one of the checkpoints was in a significantly different (if you took a clever route) position and one was almost in the wrong county. Checkpoints are always able to change on the day.

>Are roads out of bounds?

Yes, except the bit in the marked section at the start / finish.

> (otherwise do we have a procession along the very busy A6187 after > visiting 7, to Toad's Mouth?)

There's a runnable path running along to Toad's Mouth.

> Are we supposed (expected) to carry a map?

Yes - theoretically you have to carry map, whistle, compass and full body cover in all fell races of cat A and if the organiser insists on doing so (as with this one).

>I was at an orienteering event at Burbage before Christams and I recall that the moor was quite runnable (that's a relative term of course!)

Hey, thanks - I made a right pigs breakfast of it this morning and couldn't find a good line through it at all, but...

... I think in most fell races, unless you're the leader, you follow everyone else, the map is for safety in bad weather. Of course, if you can find a short cut so much the better.

A lot of races don't publish GR's and you follow either an obvious route or a flagged route.

See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
    Um .. I'm a bit of a newbie to fell running but I am an experienced orienteer. I have entered this race but I am confused. Can you choose your own route?? That would certainly add an interesting navigational element (from my point of view). In that case, what is meant by the bit in the details about having to follow marked route across private land - how much of the route is this? Some of the GRs don't seem to make sense e.g. is the 5th point supposed to be at the path junction or the mapped (1:25000) boulder? Are roads out of bounds? (otherwise do we have a procession along the very busy A6187 after visiting 7, to Toad's Mouth?) Are we supposed (expected) to carry a map?
    Sorry about all the questions ; here's an answer - I was at an orienteering event at Burbage before Christams and I recall that the moor was quite runnable (that's a relative term of course!)
    Regards for any info and advice.
    In 2004 the Tigger Tor race clashed with an orienteering event in the same area. This made for a very interesting time with people going in all directions at different paces, and you didn't know who was on the race, and who you should/shouldn't follow.

There is a short section of the Tigger Tor that is over private land from 293821 to 289820, assuming this is as per the last few years. Other than that, the race is over the moors.

With regard to route choice, in some races you follow the marked route, but the Tigger Tor is unmarked (or at least hasn't been in the past) other than over that private land. Last year there was an interesting choice of route at Carl Wark which was on the way from a check point near Burbage Bridge to one on Higger Tor. Some people went over Carl Wark, some went round. Also take care with the grid references of the check points - some haven't been spot on in the past. I think check point 5 will be at the path junction, but my route last year took me just past the grid reference shown.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't use an orienteering map. The requirements on a race like this are merely that you carry a map suitable for navigating the course.

P.S. The trouble with putting together a wordy reply is that someone beats you to it!

Heh heh, three of us falling over each other to reply!

I've never used an orienteering map before - I might get hold of one.

Heck, I might even give orienteering a go!