Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running The Dales Way ?

now you mention it, I recall we did get lost a couple of times, once early on and again near sedbergh. that combined with extended picnic stops made it too long a day in the weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    One of the problems with doing the DW Lakes to Wharfedale is the way markers are largely set up in the opposite direction. The familiar bits are well marked anyway but the 'tough middle bit' is surprisingly tricky. I've been saying for 12 years I'd like to do it in one hit but biggest attempt so far has been a steady walk Dent station to Addingham Friday evening to Sunday afternoon with a couple of overnight wild camps (and a highly memorable two hour snooze on the 'green' at Buckden

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    in a oner?
    Not so sure about that. Good weather, very steady. Plenty of walking the uphills......maybe.

My wife and I had a go at this last June. We got a train up to Bowness and intended to run back to Otley (using the link from Ilkley) in 24 hours starting at midday. It's a long story that you can read here, but we got to half way moving pretty easily in 12 hours, but had to stop due to "equipment failure" and spent an unplanned night in the Station Inn at Ribblehead. We'll give it another go sometime soon, and it's definitely doable in one go. It's a lovely route.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    My wife and I had a go at this last June. We got a train up to Bowness and intended to run back to Otley (using the link from Ilkley) in 24 hours starting at midday. It's a long story that you can read here, but we got to half way moving pretty easily in 12 hours, but had to stop due to "equipment failure" and spent an unplanned night in the Station Inn at Ribblehead. We'll give it another go sometime soon, and it's definitely doable in one go. It's a lovely route.

Wow never even knew this existed.

Is it best to go north to south or other way round?

Is nav easy and are there plenty of shops on route for food/drinks?

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Hi Simon. Andy Price, Baildon Runners here.

This is brilliant stuff this. I was just sat with the map the other night looking at it. I'm definitely going to do this one day/ two days, but will remember to check the batteries in the torch first! It's such a great idea, getting the train to the Lake District and running back home through the Dales. We're lucky to live where we live.

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    Hi Simon. Andy Price, Baildon Runners here.

This is brilliant stuff this. I was just sat with the map the other night looking at it. I'm definitely going to do this one day/ two days, but will remember to check the batteries in the torch first! It's such a great idea, getting the train to the Lake District and running back home through the Dales. We're lucky to live where we live.
    Or getting a £70 taxi up as Ben & I did!! We stayed at a pub right next to the start point. I don't recommend an impromptu joining in of a lads weekend pool competition & drinking beer the night before either.

Luxinterior - Nav is OK, but you have to keep alert and still need a map. Like DT says, I think the signage may definitely favour South to North, but I prefer the idea of running home!

Brummievet - Ah, Andy! I didn't connect you but looking at your profile pic I see it now. Can definitely recommend the route and will let you know when we do have another go.

Jez - More money than sense.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

I did this while a go without any support. Took a bus/train to the start at Ilkley and got a lift back home from Ambleside. I enjoyed it most of it. From sunny Ilkley to freezing Grassington and then boggy fields. I was very scared at night and very tired too (had good few miles where I was sleep-walking) so after Cowgill I tried to stay on the roads instead until the sun rose next morning.

Here's my strava thingy

_|_
    ./\.

Excellent. Nice one Adnan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    I did this while a go without any support. Took a bus/train to the start at Ilkley and got a lift back home from Ambleside. I enjoyed it most of it. From sunny Ilkley to freezing Grassington and then boggy fields. I was very scared at night and very tired too (had good few miles where I was sleep-walking) so after Cowgill I tried to stay on the roads instead until the sun rose next morning.

Here's my strava thingy

PS. Got to the Sportsmans Inn Pub at Dent just before 10pm and had a nice soup and some lemonade there. They were so amazed and impressed that they didn't take any money for it

_|_
    ./\.