Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Pen-Y-Ghent race

Banned

Re: Pen-Y-Ghent race

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    Hmmm. I'm not in the forum champs, but will be in attendance for the U20 Champs. It would be a crime not to run.. (What about Yetholm did someone say?).
    So where was the crime L?
    Hoped to see you striding out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    ...Winner 47.25
    I can only think that the current record of 42.54 was set on a different course to the present one.

Banned

Good vid Grifter. Thanks for that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    I can only think that the current record of 42.54 was set on a different course to the present one.
    Wouldn't like to comment on the times but the distance is incorrect. Its 6.6 mile on both occasions I have done it, that make it an AM cat not the AS its advertised as.

Master

Mark Roberts (course record holder) won the English and British counter on this course 10 years ago, beating the in-form John Brown. He ran 44.30 on a very hot day, so 42.54 was possible for him in perfect conditions.

Settle harriers website has J. Hornby from Spenborough in 1989 finishing in 42:39

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

The record was set in 1997 when the race was an English and British Championship counter so there was a high quality field. If I recall correctly, it was also the first year in which the route ran all the way through the village to the church and then left onto the road to Brackenbottom. Prior to that, the route was left onto the Pennine Way after the cafe (same as the Three Peaks) then right into another lane to a narrow footbridge over the stream to join the Brackenbottom road near the school. This earlier route is slightly shorter which presumably accounts for the faster time from 1989 not counting as the current record.

I also think, although I stand to be corrected, that at one time the route used to skirt round Whitber Hill rather than going over the top.

For many of us who were there, the 1997 race is probably most memorable for the hailstorm that hit us on the descent although the faster runners at the front probably won't remember as they were safely back in Horton by then.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbut a lad View Post
    The record was set in 1997 when the race was an English and British Championship counter so there was a high quality field. If I recall correctly, it was also the first year in which the route ran all the way through the village to the church and then left onto the road to Brackenbottom. Prior to that, the route was left onto the Pennine Way after the cafe (same as the Three Peaks) then right into another lane to a narrow footbridge over the stream to join the Brackenbottom road near the school. This earlier route is slightly shorter which presumably accounts for the faster time from 1989 not counting as the current record.

I also think, although I stand to be corrected, that at one time the route used to skirt round Whitber Hill rather than going over the top.

For many of us who were there, the 1997 race is probably most memorable for the hailstorm that hit us on the descent although the faster runners at the front probably won't remember as they were safely back in Horton by then.

1997?

But it feels like only yesterday!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".