Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Snow

Came out of the Rheged cinema yesterday evening at 6:30 pm (saw Napoleon on t'big screen. I'd give it 4 stars) into a billowing snowy blizzard, with it settling on the ground. Drive back over the Pennines from Brough to Teesdale was very doable, despite the B-road being covered . Woke this morning to half an inch and had to drive over into Weardale, then to Alston, and back via Yad Moss. Again, all very doable with winter tyres and probably ok on summers if driven slowly. Really nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year. Can't believe the hysteria in the media.
    Last edited by Mossdog; 30-11-2023 at 05:15 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

None in Mid Wales, even on Cadair. Very cold though with a bitter east wind.

Nearly lost the car on the ice going to see Napoleon in Sheffield. Half an inch of snow overnight, looks lovely. I'm afraid the film wasn't my cup of tea, would struggle to give it a one star rating. Cinema was quite full for a change and other seemed to like it.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master
    25 - 30 centimetres of snow as of now here in Ambleside - roads are gridlocked, a school in Hawkshead and Ambleside Parish Centre are opening for those who cannot get home.

It is forecast to continue snowing until early tomorrow morning.

Drove over to Ravenstonedale this morning to tend to some horses, and the ground was lightly covered with snow and the air very cold (-5).

By about 3:00 pm it started to fall in large flakes and to lay thickly. It must have been interesting driving home for some of the Widlboar fell racers.

Driving back over the B6276 road from Brough, the road was completely obscured and about an inch deep already and snow falling heavily. I was completely amazed to see a bloke in a BMW saloon, obviously shod with low profile summer tyres, trying to get over to Teesdale. I followed behind him at a safe distance watching the rear-wheel drive car slip and slide from one side of the road to the next, He made it as far as the hill up to Blackmoor Gate, before sliding into the grassy verge. No damage, but the car was stranded. He declined an offer of a lift back to Brough. Hope he had plenty of warm gear!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Still no snow in Mid Wales, but -7 this morning on the way to Dolgellau parkrun. Wish I’d remembered my Ron Hills, it was bloody cool in shorts.

No snow here in Wales further south than Matt, couldn't even spot any on Bannau Brycheiniog to the south yesterday.
    Raining today.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    No snow here in Wales further south than Matt, couldn't even spot any on Bannau Brycheiniog to the south yesterday.
    Raining today.
    That's surprising as I woke up to 20mm of snow here, (although it's largely melted now), and we're surrounded by much higher ground on three sides. The prevailing wind is normally from South Wales, so for us to get anything you normally get a lot.

Here I'm Monmouthshire we've had heavy frosts but no sign of snow.

We had about 3 inches overnight Saturday/Sunday. Made a few giant snowballs. It's raining now.