Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart rate and Hospital visit

Re: Heart rate and Hospital vi

Sounds like you did exactly the right thing.
    Pleased to hear all tests negative; you should take this at face value - it is very reassuring.
    In a one-off episode like this it can be impossible to make anything more than an educated guess, or blame a virus.
    It may be that something caused your natural cardiac 'pacemaker' to slow down from its athletic usual - a virus can do this.
    If you never get an episode like this again, you'll never know what it was, and it'll never be a trouble to you.
    Living with that uncertainty can be tricky

At that background level of fitness, with those negative tests, I would also advise gently starting back as you describe.
    Initially, for your own sake, and those close to you, perhaps carry a mobile phone if you don't usually, and stay nearer to civilisation than you might normally?
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

Going to the Docs on Monday for low H/R 45bpm(65years old in June??) after blood pressure test, told them it was normal for me as I have used a monitor for the last twenty years, but they still insist I go in for a check
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Compass View Post
    Going to the Docs on Monday for low H/R 45bpm(65years old in June??) after blood pressure test, told them it was normal for me as I have used a monitor for the last twenty years, but they still insist I go in for a check
    Sounds rather pointless! I suspect many people who run/bike/swim several times a week have a heart rate below 50; presumably it was a nurse/technician who checked your BP, and now they are just following a protocol.
    Last edited by Mike T; 13-04-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Crickey stagger shaun went through this a month or so ago. They took him in as his HR was 37
    checked him for heart attack, ultrasound and treadmill test, all is ok though thank god. Hope you are ok and we will see you tomoz.

Sounds rather pointless! I suspect many people who run/bike/swim several times a week have a heart rate below 50; presumably it was a nurse/technician who checked your BP, and now they are just following a protocol.
    Spot on, after the nurse had done the test she said "on your bike"
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Master

..... current heart rate 38; earlier today it was 32 ......

Glad to hear things are all ok Stagger. I'm assuming you put your HR monitor on because you felt odd in your chest, would that be correct? What did you feel like?

On a similar note, does anyone else find there HR changes quite quickly? If I'm doing a resting HR reading I find it noticeably speeds up when breathing in, and drops considerably when breathing out. If I time it right I can get resting HR readings in the 30's but usually they're low 40's. I've always assumed this was normal but wondered if anyone else has noticed similar.

Whilst I'm banging on, does anyone else go a little pale/dizzy and get cold lips and painful jaw/teeth after running at max effort stuff (i.e 5k, or more recently bunny runs). I always finish feeling wretched and go a little pale with light-headedness and this weird pain/discomfort round my jaw with a blood taste in my mouth. It passes fairly quickly and I'm assuming it's simply a result of running close to max HR. What do you think?
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Glad to hear things are all ok Stagger. I'm assuming you put your HR monitor on because you felt odd in your chest, would that be correct? What did you feel like?

On a similar note, does anyone else find there HR changes quite quickly? If I'm doing a resting HR reading I find it noticeably speeds up when breathing in, and drops considerably when breathing out. If I time it right I can get resting HR readings in the 30's but usually they're low 40's. I've always assumed this was normal but wondered if anyone else has noticed similar.

Whilst I'm banging on, does anyone else go a little pale/dizzy and get cold lips and painful jaw/teeth after running at max effort stuff (i.e 5k, or more recently bunny runs). I always finish feeling wretched and go a little pale with light-headedness and this weird pain/discomfort round my jaw with a blood taste in my mouth. It passes fairly quickly and I'm assuming it's simply a result of running close to max HR. What do you think?
    Hi Rob. It is normal for heart rate to slow a bit during expiration - this is called sinus arrhythmia - it tends to disappear as people get older. I have no idea what is going on with some of the symptoms in your last paragraph! I suspect we all feel a bit off when running at our limit over short distances - I have felt a bit light-headed occasionally under these circumstances and I blame it on a mismatch between breathing and energy consumption - I think there is a tendency to breath too much - hyperventilate - as we approach the finish line.

Cheers Mike. I think there may be two things going on here actually. I think the teeth thing may simply be from the cold air, and the other stuff is from max efforts. I just wondered if others had similar or if it was just me
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Take it steay Trev , BOFRA season shortly ! Glad you're ok.
    Pete