Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Hardest UK fell race....?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner1975 View Post
    3 races that have kicked my arse:

1. Duddon Long
    2. Yorkshire 3 peaks. Great race and mostly runnable but bonked on top of Ingleborough. Long and lonely trudge to the finish.
    3. Borrowdale. Wobbly legs descending Dale Head.

I had intended to run Wasdale this year but injury forced me out. Aiming for Borrowdale again and this time will be more prepared in terms of refuelling.
    I have to say for a short race, Cribyn truely kicks ass, that steep climb then up jacobs ladder to the top of Pen y fan before a leg wobbling descent, you are left knowing you have worked hard

Quite so Andy! That descent is fantastic...never ending pounding.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Cautley Spout was tough too.

It's fair to say the exertion at the time may be comparable between short & long races, but there are some races so tough that even if you are in the form of your life they'll leave you a mess for days.

I think the toughest I've done, regardless of form at the time, are probably in no particular order Wasdale, Jura & Arrochar Alps. I'd venture that Jura offers the most complete test, but whether that singles it out as the toughest i'm not sure.

It's very very close between those 3, and not far behind at all are Great Lakes & Welsh 1000m.

I don't think any race has ever destroyed my quads as badly as Snowdon with it's 5 miles of flat out descent on hard pack terrain, but i'd never describe the race itself as one of the hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post

I don't think any race has ever destroyed my quads as badly as Snowdon with it's 5 miles of flat out descent on hard pack terrain, but i'd never describe the race itself as one of the hardest.
    Yeah when I last ran the Ingleborough fell race (in July 2012) I fairly trashed my quads, what with the (fricking!) runnable all the way up 3.5 mile climb followed by the return 3.5 mile 'sprint finish'! It was quite possibly the worst state my quads have ever been in after a race.... and not particularly helpful for what turned out to be a doomed BGR attempt the following weekend
    Last edited by Stolly; 16-07-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Every race is tough. If it ain't tough then you aint trying hard enough. :-)
    See the light in the night

Thought I'd quickly revisit this thread, seeing as I started it...!

Hardest race I've done so far is Black Mountains. Those two murderous climbs, followed by the slog down and up again through the forest.

It seemed far harder thsn, say, Langdale, which is the only Lakeland Classic I've done so far (will be doing at least a couple more this year though)

Marsden-Edale Trigger was no walk in the park either, although was more a battle of attrition against the elements.

Shropshire got a good mention a couple of pages back. Stretton Skyline in the blazing sun was not pretty either.

Banned
    So Wasdale show it is 2400ft in 2.4miles and none of this long distance nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    So Wasdale show it is 2400ft in 2.4miles and none of this long distance nonsense.
    Having "ran" up that race route on a training run, i can well imagine that it is a fantastically tough race. Short races are undoubtedly tough, but i can't agree that they are tougher than something like Buttermere Horseshoe. Although I've never done a 'proper' short race, i think my shortest race has been about 40mins.

Welsh 1000m always seemed to get a bit of a rep as not a fantastic race. I think that was on the old course, and now it goes over the Glyder, i have to put that up there. i'd go as far as saying i find it more difficult than the mighty Peris Horseshoe... it's the one race which i am guaranteed to have cramp, and i think the only race where I've had to physically have a lie down.

I think for me, Buttermere Horseshoe just tops it. And until i get round Wasdale and am able to compare the two, it's the toughest of all for me.

Master
    Buttermere Sailbeck always struck me as properly hard at 10 miles and 5000ft, certainly the one I bonked most on!
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before