Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scrambling and fell running

Master

Re: Scrambling and fell runnin

Holme Moss, ascending the rocks to join the Pennine way - I can remember thinking as I was doing it that I could easily have a nasty fall.

I tend to pick the 'hands on rock lines' up to Scafell on Borrowdale Race and up Swiril Edge on Cafod Grisedale HS. I like it and feel its sometimes quicker than being in the loose stuff on the paths.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I tend to pick the 'hands on rock lines' up to Scafell on Borrowdale Race and up Swiril Edge on Cafod Grisedale HS. I like it and feel its sometimes quicker than being in the loose stuff on the paths.
    Article in the next trail running magazine on record breaking run of the snowdon horseshoe and run scrambles.. including input from the self promoting runsnowdinia...

I love a bit of scrambling thrown in with my running. I quite often plan routes in the Lakes to take in some hands-on-rock stuff - I've heard good things about Pinnacle Ridge (side of St Sunday), so want to check that out sometime soon. Not sure it's a great idea in races, though, unless the scramble is pretty easy, short, and/or a fair way into the course so there's not loads of runners going up it at the same time - surely it'd be asking for trouble sending the whole field up something like Sharp Edge, for instance??

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    unless the scramble is pretty easy, short, and/or a fair way into the course so there's not loads of runners going up it at the same time - surely it'd be asking for trouble sending the whole field up something like Sharp Edge, for instance??
    Thats what I thought when I first read the title!

To be honest I haven't been in a race that includes "scrambling" wouldn't fancy racing with others up arrowhead ridge on Gable or Slab and Notch on Pillar Rock!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by IainR
    Article in the next trail running magazine on record breaking run of the snowdon horseshoe and run scrambles.. including input from the self promoting runsnowdinia...
    Looks like you got there before me Iain! At least it will reach a wider audience than my blog...

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    I love a bit of scrambling thrown in with my running. I quite often plan routes in the Lakes to take in some hands-on-rock stuff - I've heard good things about Pinnacle Ridge (side of St Sunday), so want to check that out sometime soon. Not sure it's a great idea in races, though, unless the scramble is pretty easy, short, and/or a fair way into the course so there's not loads of runners going up it at the same time - surely it'd be asking for trouble sending the whole field up something like Sharp Edge, for instance??
    Pinnacle Ridge is brilliant. There's one tricky step that's probably about a Diff in rock-climbing terms but the rest isn't technically that difficult, just super exposed and great fun! Wouldn't fancy it in fell running shoes mind...

Are there any other races that involve sections of scrambling?
    Arrochar Alps - the initial descent from Beinn Narnain. Similar to the direct route off the Crinkles referred to above, only you're likely to be rather more tired by this point in the race...
    Glen Rosa Horsehoe - quite a few bits where you get hands-on-rock though the race goes out of its way, via a spectacular descent (on grass), to avoid the "Bad Step" on the A'Chir ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    And what are people's opinions, do scrambling and fell running mix?
    Dunno about when racing - but the reason I went for my first ever fell run was in order to go for a scramble, because we were in the Lakes, and clearly no scrambling was going to be done with a baby strapped to my back.

I went up Halls Fell Ridge, down via Sharp Edge, and I was suddenly hooked on the notion that I could get places in the hills quickly.

Then I discovered downhill running, and that you didn't have to stick to the path (I had never heard of Open Access....) and I was hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Top of Causey Pike on Buttermere Sailbeck. It's not exactly loads of scrambling but it can feel quite exposed in the wind and rain!
    I was going to mention that.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

does`nt it say something about scrambling type terrain in the FRA rules regarding safety requirments for fell races under 4 course design ?