Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Montane Extreme smock?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A bit late to this thread but the Buffalo Teclite shirt is also a fantastic piece of kit. Too warm for running generally but been down to -20 in it without feeling the chill before now. Been wearing mine combined with the Buffalo DP mits for the last couple of days, trogging through the snow to work and been very toasty.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Super Moderator
    I bought a pair of Buffalo mitts the weekend of my first XOTF from Needle Sports. Brilliant warmth / weight ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I bought a pair of Buffalo mitts the weekend of my first XOTF from Needle Sports. Brilliant warmth / weight ratio
    The mitts are great and function really well even when wet.

The only problem I've had with them is that if my hands are even a little bit damp, then trying to get them on can be a complete nightmare. The pile is so strongly polarised that it sticks resolutely to your skin, inside the 'mouth' of the first glove and trying to pull them up over the knuckles takes herculean force, or sometimes is impossible (for me at least). The number of times I've been desperate to get them on (I suffer from cold hands) and have filled the air with rich expletives at my inability to do so, especially in dire weather conditions, when things are becoming urgent. What also occasionally happens is that the bit of pile comes out of the 'thumb-shaped' pertex and I end up with unless flapping pile-pertex items dangling from the end of my arms - GrrrH

So.......now I always carry a light pair of merino glove liners and this seems to do the trick and they slip on nicely. Completely toasty
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    I’ve had similar problems Mossy. But worth persevering with

Having promised myself a full-weight pile & pertex smock for around 23 years, I finally took the plunge with a Buffalo Special Six some 20 months ago. Also bought the hood & mitts. The deciding factor was long days out training and recce-ing for the JNLC. I sweat like a pig and was arriving back at the car wringing wet through. By the time that I removed the clammy kit, towelled down and put on the dry 'civvies' I was bordering on hypo-thermic.
    It was a revelation, just remove the clammy kit, pull on the Buffalo and I was immediately dry and warm. It has become the new 'love of my life'.
    I have only once attempted to 'run' in it. I ran out to marshal on Causey Pike for the Buttermere-Sailbeck in 2016. I donned the Buffalo whilst manning the CP and tagged on when the sweeper came through but only got to the next CP before going into meltdown and changing back into the running kit.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 13-12-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Having promised myself a full-weight pile & pertex smock for around 23 years, I finally took the plunge with a Buffalo Special Six some 20 months ago. Also bought the hood & mitts. The deciding factor was long days out training and recce-ing for the JNLC. I sweat like a pig and was arriving back at the car wringing wet through. By the time that I removed the clammy kit, towelled down and put on the dry 'civvies' I was bordering on hypo-thermic.
    It was a revelation, just remove the clammy kit, pull on the Buffalo and I was immediately dry and warm. It has become the new 'love of my life'.
    I have only once attempted to 'run' in it. I ran out to marshal on Causey Pike for the Buttermere-Sailbeck in 2016. I donned the Buffalo whilst manning the CP and tagged on when the sweeper came through but only got to the next CP before going into meltdown and changing back into the running kit.
    I wonder if there's a self-help group for those addicted to Buffalo Systems gear? If there is, I need to join up as I'm ashamed to say I have more bits of their kit than I care to admit outside a therapy session. In fear that the little Sheffield company might one day go out of business and I won't be able to source a replacement, I've even bought myself a spare, still in wrappers, unworn Special 6 shirt, which I'll use if and when the current one meets it's demise - how sad is that! Being in my late 50s that should be me sorted for life

One thing I've learned is never, ever bung a gortex or similar so-called 'breathable' waterproof on top, as the whole system breaks down, leaving you extremely clammy and at risk of major chilling. It shouldn't be necessary anyway - just put on a Buffalo belay jacket (if you happen to have one....ahem)
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    wheezing Ian, my old Buffaflo was probably used for apres-run more than everything else put together. Tops off. Buffalo on. Shoes off. Wipe worst of mud off with socks. Jeans on. Trainers on. Time for beer

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I wonder if there's a self-help group for those addicted to Buffalo Systems gear? If there is, I need to join up as I'm ashamed to say I have more bits of their kit than I care to admit outside a therapy session.
    Me too though I have drawn the line at Buffalo Supporters. Anyone going to admit to owning a pair of these? https://www.needlesports.com/1545/pr...ers-black.aspx
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Me too though I have drawn the line at Buffalo Supporters. Anyone going to admit to owning a pair of these? https://www.needlesports.com/1545/pr...ers-black.aspx
    Way too skimpy - not what they're 'cracked up' to be ( ) if you get my drift !!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    I’m very pleased with my Montane smock. It’s heavy but ‘build quality’ is much better than a Buffalo. I cannot imagine wearing a warm layer under it. Bought from Webtogs for just over a hundred quid and I think a bargain at that