Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Old County Tops

Re: Old Counties Tops Race

SwissToni...that's madness!! And there's me wondering whether my legs will recover in time to do Ennerdale on 10th June!!

Mind you....did notice that Windermere Marathon is the next day.........

Got my Lake District Anquet map last week and been trying to plot the route into it (saddo!!) and then fly through it. Relieving the boredom of not being able to run 'cause of a rotten cold.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Have decided to do this as part of BGR prep (BGR on 30th June). I'm doing the Fellsman the week before and Jura the week after - it's going to be a tough old May!

It sounds like a really good event - food stops on the way round is clearly the future.
    What time are you planning on doing the Fellsman in cos anytime is going to be hard to get 62 miles out of your legs in a week !!!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Right, with a couple of weekends in the Lakes coming up, I'm planning to recce the route in 2 halves.

Could someone give me a pointer or two please?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    As for routes, it's fairly straightforward, really. From the New Dungeon Ghyll, over to Grasmere, Tongue Gill, Grisedale Tarn & Helvellyn. Down to Wythburn Church where there are excellent refreshments laid on.
    The route down off Helvellyn to Wythburn....do you actually follow the path? Or take a more direct line down somewhere?

Then it's up Wythburn, skirt round High Raise to Angle Tarn where there is a kit check.
    So skirting around High Raise is considered better than going over? Am I right in thinking that at Greenup Edge, you're not far off the top of High Raise and over the top would be more direct, if a little more ascent?

Scafell Pike, down to Great Moss, over to Mosedale & down to Cockley Beck
    Now this looks confusing on the map. Think, from reading previous accounts, I fancy the "back to Little Narrowcove" option. If I do this, is there an easy/obvious way across to Mosedale taking a reasonably direct line?

Apart from that, as GeoffB said previously, looks pretty straightforward route-choice.

Sort of looking forward to it!

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Right, with a couple of weekends in the Lakes coming up, I'm planning to recce the route in 2 halves.

Could someone give me a pointer or two please?
    Well, I've only done the race once, so I hardly claim to be an expert, but here are my ideas.

Helvellyn to Wythburn - pretty much direct, aiming to hit the path just before it enters the forest.

Greenup Edge to High Raise - 150m of climbing, I'd have thought contouring was best. It's all very grassy whichever way you go really.

Scafell Pike to Mosedale - to start with Mickleden is 'out of bounds', so Little Narrowcove is a good bet. After that, prepare for wet feet! In last year's LDMT I followed Scoffer straight across Great Moss - about 0.5km splashing through calf-deep water. Very tiring, but gets it out of the way. This is the bit that definitely needs recceing as it can be confusing in mist.

Enjoy your weekends, and hope to see you in May. By the way, who's your partner for the race?

Thanks for the reply Geoff.

Helvellyn to Wythburn - pretty much direct, aiming to hit the path just before it enters the forest.
    Ok, that's what I thought looking at it on the map. Great, I'll try that.

Greenup Edge to High Raise - 150m of climbing, I'd have thought contouring was best. It's all very grassy whichever way you go really.
    Did read a comment somewhere about the fact that it was a mystery where the rocks for the cairn on top come from 'cause it's all grass Right, I'll try countouring then.

Scafell Pike to Mosedale - to start with Mickleden is 'out of bounds', so Little Narrowcove is a good bet. After that, prepare for wet feet! In last year's LDMT I followed Scoffer straight across Great Moss - about 0.5km splashing through calf-deep water. Very tiring, but gets it out of the way. This is the bit that definitely needs recceing as it can be confusing in mist.
    Ok, noted. Will hope it doesn't rain too much in the next week then! I can see a direct line on the map and I've "recce'd" it on Anquet map I'll let you know how I get on.

Enjoy your weekends, and hope to see you in May.
    It's guaranteed that I'll enjoy my weekends up there Geoff Look forward to seeing you in May.

By the way, who's your partner for the race?
    A guy from Mercia who doesn't post on here (I don't think). He's a better runner than me but I know the Lakes better so should be a good team. Definitely NOT going to break any records or trouble the leaders, just looking to finish.

We're both qualified in sports massage as well.....ready for when we get cramp

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Geoff.

We're both qualified in sports massage as well.....ready for when we get cramp
    That's handy - I'll probably look out for on that last big climb out of Cockley Beck! I might just need a good massage then.

Just out of interest has anyone tried running up the road to Dunmail top then branching off right up the beck before contouring round west of dollywagon before joining the ridge path?

It looks like it could be quicker to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux de lux View Post
    Just out of interest has anyone tried running up the road to Dunmail top then branching off right up the beck before contouring round west of dollywagon before joining the ridge path?

It looks like it could be quicker to me.
    There's a checkpoint at NY339098 (on the bridleway approaching Great Tongue, just near a footbridge I seem to remember). I presume that's there to stop you doing that.

Anybody have the checkpoint details?

ta P

Tried to upload from my PC but file is too big. E-mail me and I'll send it over if you like.

MH