Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Lightfoot record at

I'd be anchor - literally!

When I wrote the code for the schedule calculator on my site I had 18hrs as the fastest selectable time. My reasonings were that anyone going faster than this would most likely know what schedule they needed to keep to (at the time there were probably only 8 people with a time less than 18hrs anyway) and I didn't think the calculations would work at those paces. Also I didn't find Billy Bland's times until later.

I've since done a local version where I could drop down to 14hrs and the resulting times are pretty close to Billy's so it would seem that the slowing down over the course of the Round is reasonably consistent across all speeds/schedules though of course the fast guys are still quite a bit faster. Even when fresh I couldn't get up Yewbarrow as quickly as BB after 40 miles.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    2hrs 18 mins is record pace for leg 1. How many people can do that? If he paid me £200 he'd be asking for his money back. I'd be dropped by lattrigg gate and I reckon after 2hrs 18mins I'd be stumbling lost somewhere on mungrisedale common.
    Billy's leg 1 time is a bit too quick, I've been told by those that know better than me. He set out fast and suffered for it later on - at Honister a 'Naylor Shake' was required to sort him out!
    One of the reasons people may have been put off fast attempts is looking at this Leg 1 split, going 'no chance for 60 miles' and not thinking of it any further.
    I don't know what time could be lost on leg 1 to Billy to still be in with a chance.

From experience of others' schedules, Bob's calculator offers slack in the later splits (in case of explosion/implosion). This may suggest that his quick schedules tally up with Billy's time.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I don't know if Rob Jebb's splits are available online. Since he's the closest to Billy there should be some clue/indication there.

From memory Billy had a 15min stop at Honister compared with just a minute or two at the other three road crossings. Schedules for the fastest three rounds (at the time) may be found here http://www.macclesfield-harriers.co....fastestBG.html - the only one Billy wasn't fastest on was the Helvellyn leg.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

[QUOTE=ba-ba;628449]
    I don't know what time could be lost on leg 1 to Billy to still be in with a chance.QUOTE]

And that is going to be the difficulty of anyone going for a record (although I would imagine they will have it all under control, paced and scheduled etc). From memory, I think there is a comment in one the recent books (The Round?) that the potential difficulty for anyone seeking to break the record is that they will be under pressure from the off whereas Billy just had his own time to beat. Exciting stuff for us mere mortals anyway. The individual splits from Keswick and Ellonborough BB Relays last year makes for interesting analysis:

http://www.billyblandchallenge.org.uk/?page_id=440

I interviewed Rob Jebb about his round - for an article in the next Fellrunner (and to update the paperback version of 'The Round', coming out on 19 January). He says he set a 14-50 'schedule'.
    From the book: "He was 'about a minute or two down on legs 1 and 2.' He then started picking up time, and I speculated that his leg 3 three-time schedule was too cautious. Rob disagreed. ‘No, I think the weather held us back on leg 1, as it was so muddy. Leg 2 is hard to get time on as it is such fast running. I don't think there is much to play with time-wise.' "
    Obviously he was going increasingly well as he gained those couple of minutes back, plus another 30 - to finish in 14-30 - partly through running straight through the road support stops.
    He did have a couple of setbacks, as he also described a minor nav error off Scafell and problems on later descents due to knee and toe issues.
    He also says he wasn't specifically going for Billy's time. His motivation was: 'I wanted to do the best I could do. I just decided that is it, I want to do it. I never thought about Billy's time, that is still on a pedestal really. I thought there is no reason why I couldn't do the second fastest time.'
    [The Round: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Round-Bob-G...8775430&sr=1-3]

Blatant plug Steve, but just pre-ordered

Surely not!! The plug not the pre-ordering

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Blatant plug Steve, but just pre-ordered

I'm sure a donation will be on the way to the FRA!!

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Surely not!! The plug not the pre-ordering

I assumed that the FRA received a royalty from this book given the number of times it is advertised here.

Yes, I assumed that too. It would only be fair
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners