Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Wainwrights.

Re: The Wainwrights.

Sharp edge in that frost and ice must have been a little hairy!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    Nah....piece of cake.....with icing on

Finished bagging the Wainwrights 11 years ago ('98) but only 'got serious' in '94 and discounted any that I had visited before '90. So actually visited them all between '90 & '98. But I never bagged any one top in isolation. I always did them in 'rounds' that linked the new ones with AW's that I had previously visited since '90. So many of them were visited several times between '90 & '98. A cracking way to learn the geography of Lakeland.
    As next summer will be my 60th summer ( 60 next November ) I'm toying with bagging all the tops ( 100 off the top of my head ) in his Outlying Fells of Lakeland volume in a continuous bike/jog/walk/B&B outing; maybe give myself a full fortnight. Just a half formed idea, not looking to set any records?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    You went up Sharp Edge, not Striding Edge
    Silly me.
    Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    I quite enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    I was wondering that.

Thing is though, i dont know what we went up....and with me being on the striding edge suicide squad, we missed two of the tops.
    Did you go to the grassy top with the windshelter on it or bypass it to the right to cut down to Mungrisdale? That was Bowscale Fell which the rest of us visited (and that's also a Nuttall). We went over the top of Souther Fell on the return leg.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Did you go to the grassy top with the windshelter on it or bypass it to the right to cut down to Mungrisdale? That was Bowscale Fell which the rest of us visited (and that's also a Nuttall). We went over the top of Souther Fell on the return leg.
    We didnt go to Bowscale no, we contoured round and went down the tongue.

I've been bagging Wainwrights since my kids bought me the two log books around 2005. I don't count anything I did before that, as I've no records. I realised a few months ago I hadn't got many to go, so I'm mopping the rest up. Saturday's bag: Grey Crag, Branstree, Selside Pike, Glenridding Dodd, Sheffield Pike, Catstycam & Birkhouse Moor, the last of which I did with blood running down my face. That leaves 17 to go:

(1) 9 in the Southern Fells, which I'm doing in the week leading up to Easter on a walking trip with my daughter
    (2) Bonscale Pike, which I'll fit in at the end or start of some day in the Lakes, not sure when
    (3) The smaller fells of the Fairfield Horseshoe - looking out for a sunny weekend to do this, as I can't make race day
    (4) Clough Head, which is pencilled in for about 5am on Sunday 3 June.

Then I'll have done them all in my 50s. I'll start again once I turn 60!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Splatch, rather than starting on the Wainwrights again; I've just been given a cracking little A5 sized book ... "The Lakeland Fells Almanac" by Bill Birkett. It's the "pocket edition" of his "Complete Lakeland Fells" coffee-table book. It covers all 541 Lakeland tops over 1000 feet ... now there's a project!!:thumbup:
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I might well do that Wheeze - a great idea. I've already got the Complete Lakeland Fells. It would give a lot more cracking days out running, & of course I'd still get the Wainwrights done too!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Save a good one for your last - I resisted Harter Fell (Eskdale) until the very end and it was a fantastic way to finish them off.