Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Meirionnydd Round.

Bobert

Re: Meirionnydd Round.

Rob

Have been following this thread and your build-up. Bad luck hope you get back out and have another go.

Well done Rob (good descision to pull it ... the lightening was very impressive ...) glad you got home ok
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

As another supporter, quick note to agree with the others, it was a great attempt, weather just wouldn't play ball.

Makes the PB look like a walk in the park . Think I'll give it a miss myself but happy to support if you want another go Rob.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    A few more observations to follow on this er, little challenge of ydt's.
    As I'd feared, there are a few places where bracken is an issue in mid summer. The main ones are:
    1. SH618158 on the first part of the Garn Corllwyn ascent above Barmouth. As Alan Lucker mentioned this bouldery scramble is not improved by a covering of bracken and brambles.
    2. SH676370 after Craig Gwynt (Sec 2)
    3. SH811321 after the Afon Lliw crossing (Sec 4)
    4. SH804172 on the descent to the A470 at Ochr y Bwlch (Sec 5)
    Also the rushes and grass are higher in mid summer making it difficult or impossible to find some of the trods that were there in the winter (more reccing needed )
    ... therefore do it in May or early June. May was my plan, until I picked up an injury.

A few things have changed in the 11 years since Yiannis did the Meiri.
    1. the ride W of Dduallt has a couple of fallen trees and further on has been obliterated by new planting. There is another way but it's longer
    2. Gorse is becoming an issue, e.g. SH618176 on the climb to 2nd Sec 2 summit. Could be a result of lower stocking post-FMD?
    3. ydt has found a better route up Rhinog Fawr. So that's one good thing!

Anyway, yesterday's attempt. The weather forecast kept changing: eventually I lost my nerve and decided to start after Cadair Idris, leaving "Sec 1" until last. Whereupon the forecast improved again as Moley mentioned, but too late to revert, and as of the day before, the forecast remained OK thru to the end of the Round.

Starting with Sec 2, from Morfa Mawddach station, got some level running out of the way at the start, which suited me. Then a difficult brackeny ascent to Carn Gorllwn. Vis was poor for the whole of the Rhinogs, but with a precise recce-based GPS track we were able to cover the ground efficiently. Sec 2 is over 7h long and tough to support, a bit like Ramsay Sec 1, but at least it's easy to split at Roman Steps, where Moley and Wheezing Donkey were waiting with hot food. Alan Lucker finished here, David Waide continued with Moley's mate Carwyn Phillips whom I'd never met before but who had driven up from Pembrokeshire and who supported to end of Sec 3. At Trawsfynnydd dam, Steve Cliff and his big sister Becky were waiting with my road shoes. For once I enjoyed the 2 miles of tarmac thru to the A470.

Wynn's catering was up to the usual standard: we had a good breakfast. David and Carwyn continued, joined by Steve Cliff and Sam (Pierre de la Roche). First part of Sec 3 has a fair bit of fastish bogtrotting if you get the right lines. After the B4391 is the Migneint proper, with heavy ground, especially in summer and after a wet spell. At Pont Rhyd-y-fen I had a pretty good feed but couldn't get much solid food down. This problem continued although I did manage to get enough fuel inside to keep going at schedule pace to the end.

Sec 4: Sam continued, joined by Mary Gillie, BillJ and Anne. The ditch-hopping after Moel Llyfnant caused some minor cramps although this didn't recur. Alan Duncan met us at the minor road crossing to restock the support team, not that I was eating much, but a quick coffee didn't go amiss. The Afon Lliw crossing was a bit deeper than usual but perfectly OK after yesterday's rain and a dry night. A heavy shower here was the first of the day; dense wet bracken was unpleasant and cost a minute or two. At the ruined farmstead we stayed high, although in hindsight with summer vegetation the lower route nearer the valley bottom may have been quicker. The infant Afon Mawddach was a little higher than usual but no problem at the narrowest point, SH910293.

After Dduallt I decided on the shorter route as per ydt, although it's slower nowadays, with fallen trees to deal with and brashy new planting to negotiate en route to the forest road at SH800262. From here, on a hunch I took the rough track W, then a brashy felled area leading to open hill below Rhobell Fawr. This had been reccied by GeoffB and co last winter while I was trying to figure out where ydt's old ride had gone. Worked OK, I guess. BillJ reported that I'd lost 4 mins on ydt's schedule on this leg - sounds a fair bit but not bad considering the changes. The long run out E to the A494 at Pont Fronwydd was awkward in its early stages with the trods hard to find in the long grass. Moley was at the first gate; after a bit of heather bashing we found the path on cue; lower down was Baggins with his camera. The Arans looked to be clearing for a fine evening, but it wasn't to be...

Sec 5: Arans: Mary continued, joined by Baggins, Alan Duncan and Chris Armour plus a guest appearance from Duncan Elliott. This section was good fun: plenty of of banter; even a bit of a view down into Hengwm at one point. Taking my eye of the GPS I managed to get myself led astray towards the end, with an unscheduled visit to Pen Bryn-fforchog's N top costing us a few mins.

Sec 6: after my not very successful assault on a piece of chocolate cake, most of which came back up again, Alan Duncan and LawrieJ took me up the first summit at a good pace, then the weather closed in. My pace then slowed dramatically in zero visibility although Alan and Lawrie's nav was flawless. It was obvious that the Cadair Idris section would take more than the remaining 3 hours, and anyway finishing in these conditions promised to be unpleasant and maybe dangerous; by the time I reached the A487 my decision to finish was inevitable, and rather borne out by the torrential rain and electrical storm which (as has been mentioned) followed over the next couple of hours.

In good conditions in early summer this I believe remains a fine Round, although arguably, Sec 3b and 4b achieve a level of direness underfoot normally found ony in the Dark Peak and Pennines . There is talk of a Winter attempt (you know who you are T & C ) but AFAIK, apart from Yiannis, and Colin Donnelly's 24:30ish round (which included a few unscheduled miles at the end) there have been no other completions. I reckon you need to be going at better than 22h PBR pace to do it -and to know the route in detail. Quite a challenge, Mr Tridimas.

Rob
    Last edited by RobW; 19-07-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: minor mods

hard luck Rob it sounds like an epic... well the report above any way.

I'm sure you'll crack it next time

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Makes the PB look like a walk in the park . Think I'll give it a miss myself but happy to support if you want another go Rob.
    With that rather quick PBR under your belt, we reckon you could do it Mary

Rob, there's a full moon at next years late May bank holiday weekend if you want to pencil it in...

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    With that rather quick PBR under your belt, we reckon you could do it Mary
    I'd go to ground for a bit if I was you Mary

Very impressive attempt Rob, couldn't believe how fast you were still going over "that" sort of terrain, makes the boundry ridge look appealing
    Bill

hard luck rob. Can't say that you sold the round to me! Its certainly a tough one. These rough hills are always best earlier in the year I reckon when grass and bracken are lower, but its tempting to have a go later on if time hasn't permitted. You clearly had a very good go anyway. Well done on getting as far as you did more or less on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    As another supporter, quick note to agree with the others, it was a great attempt, weather just wouldn't play ball.

Mary
    Mary, I've got money on you being the 1st lady of the Meirionydd Round!!
    Ian.

A 110% effort Rob ! A pity that the weather did not want to play ball. That coupled with a somewhat reluctant appetite ( for the essential fuels ), conspired against you. Looks as if Laurie is planting seeds for Spring Bank w/e 2010? Even the vegetation should be on your side at that time of the year!!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 20-07-2009 at 10:52 AM.