Thread: North of England in 'Crisis'!!

North of England in 'Crisis'!!

Have just received this. Can anyone explain whats going on and the issues involved for me please?

In a statement the interim chair of England Athletics North West, Shaun O'Donnell, has sought to justify the undemocratic method used to invite three defeated members from the election of 2006 to replace the democratically elected quartet and coopted member who resigned from office on a point of principle earlier this year.

O'Donnell claimed a precedent had been set following the resignation of Ron McAndrew when Arwel WIlliams was invited to take his place. This is incorrect. McAndrew declined to take a portfolio and the vacancy created was thus casual and immediate.

In the election of June 2006 the three newly invited trio obtained 6 votes (Mike Harris), 4 Votes (Mike Dooling) and 4 votes (Gwenda Ward) respectively. The total votes cast in the election were 107!!!!. The Council does not have a mandate to invite the trio for membership, neither do those invited have a mandate to serve.

In one instance the candidate could not even gain the nomination of his own club! There are doubts in each case whether any of those invited could even obtain the number of votes they recieved almost a year ago. The only way to find out is to put it to the electorate.

Inviting those who have been rejected decisively by the electorate is an insult to the democratic process. Two thirds of the elected Council have resigned. That does not represent a casual vacancy it represents a crisis!!

O'Donnell claims he respects the decision of those who resigned. If that were true both he and the remaining elected member (Bob Lynch) would have resigned immediately and offered themselves for election together with any other candidates who wished to stand for open election.

There is no reason to believe that the remaining members of the Council or the newly invited persons referred to have any support from the clubs. There is every reason to believe the opposite.

All the fine words about "commitment", "ideas", "thriving sport" mean nothing if the democratic process has been usurped by a crude attempt of England Athletics to produce a puppet Council.

St Helens-Sutton A C refuses to recognise the legitimacy of Messrs Harris, Dooling or Ward as members of the Council. We call on all North West clubs to join with us to demand the right of all members of the electorate to make that decision which has been arrogated to thesmelves by England Athletics.

Dr Phil Thomas
    Chairman
    St Helens-Sutton A C

Re: North of England in 'Crisi

Thats fine. Leave politics to athletics and lets just get the hell out of here! Last thing on my mind as I float over glorious summits or plummet down exciting gulleys is who does what on which committee. If you want to fell run you should first take an oath to revoke, rescind or otherwise cancel any connection whatsoever to political thought or activity. Run free, run happy

You know it makes sense!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Maybe if the Doctor used plain english he would be able to get whatever the point he is trying to make across better.

Wheeze is on the right lines though.
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell View Post
    Maybe if the Doctor used plain english he would be able to get whatever the point he is trying to make across better.
    This is the same learned doctor who, when he had lost his argument with another Club, wrote to AW and said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil Thomas
    I would never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Other people have commented to me on this guy writing controversial stuff in AW et al. As I do actually know him, I would say he sets out to stimulate discussion rather than offend people, but that above is inviting a hostile reception! My opinion? ... best to leave these committee people to it and get on with our running, as Wheeze has said!
    Last edited by NotIntaFells; 11-04-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    You'll never Walk Alone!