Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jubilee Plunge

Well done Travs. It all sounds a bit too intense and high pressure to me.

Went back to this today, to make amends for last year!

Much nicer walk up today, a bit warmer, and clear views in all directions, but a little cold and windy waiting around on top.

As for the race, managed to stick to the optimum route this year, and knocked 50 seconds off last years time to finish 7th in 13:05....... was very pleased with the run, didn’t lose too much on the steepest sections, and put a few people away on the flatter sections.

Only disappointment was I’d have liked to finish under 13 mins, but just fell short.... if I’d had the energy to steeplechase the final stile I might have had the impetus to make it... but it looked very high, my legs felt very heavy, and the ground before the stile felt very slippy! So in light of having someone just behind me I played it safe!

Fantastic day. Good drive over, race entry £1, lovely walk up to the summit with a mate I’d not seen for five years, nice drink at the end, and chips in Llangollen on the way home...

Great race, and now one my yearly must-do’s... I’ll certainly have to go back next year to break 13mins!

Pete

Pleased to hear that this is back on the 27th December.

Race starts 2pm but need to be registered in the pub by 1pm in order to get up to the summit for the start.

Pleased to say i'll be there again... turning into a bit of an xmas tradition.

I'm not sure my old legs would thank me for doing an eyeballs out downhill only race but it does sound a good un Travs.

I'll be staying localish over the holiday doing Totley Two Turtles Doves on Boxing Day and Wormstones on New Years Eve.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Always look forward to this traditional xmas race... however congestion on the M6 and a very cautious cross-country drive towards the venue in zero visibility, meant i was a little pushed for time on arrival.

But once at the summit start there was no time to worry about whether i was warmed up properly... straight from the off its full speed ahead to gain a good position before the first technical section... was rather pleased to find myself in 2nd place despite feeling like i was only just keeping control of myself... the guy in 1st looked distinctly out of control and had arms and legs everywhere...

Managed to hold onto 2nd place for almost a mile and out across the undulating sections, but on the grass/heather section i succumbed to pressure from behind and dropped to 4th... this was a really interesting part of the race as the route really widens out and the four of us were all taking slightly different lines, and to emphasise the effort we were throwing at it, we all hit the deck at least once...

Unfortunately i just couldn't fully tag onto the front three, and they always seemingly remained 10-20secs ahead... in fact i was more worried about the noises coming from behind... the guy in 5th was making noises you'd expect to hear on a safari and i figured couldn't be too far behind.

Despite gaining on the short road section, the numerous stiles and fields in the final half mile broke up the momentum and i had to settle for 4th in 12:52...

I really can't complain with a pb in terms of both time and position... if being my usual critical self, i'd have liked to have finished in the top three after spending 40% of the race in 2nd... and in what was arguably a slightly slower year in terms of ground conditions and winning time, it was a real opportunity to really challenge for the win... as it was i finished only 22secs behind the leader but didn't even make the podium!

A great race... the welcome and hospitality of the pub, organisers, marshals is always great... my family love coming to this race as much as i do, the kind welcome leaves a mark and they're already looking forward to going back next xmas.

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 27-12-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Master
    Well done Peter - so close to the winner.

Good run Travs, sounds like you committed fully. What's the terrain like underfoot? Darren Fishwick told me i should do this race when we were talking after Litton.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Good run Travs, sounds like you committed fully. What's the terrain like underfoot? Darren Fishwick told me i should do this race when we were talking after Litton.
    The terrain is a mixture... starts off as a typical stony/rocky path... then it becomes a bit more muddy and undulates up and down a bit... then turn off onto a narrow off-camber mud-path through heather which is a little bit dicey at speed... then it opens out onto the lower fell which is a mixture of greasy short grass and bracken.... 400mtrs of mud-caked road (very slippy) then a final half mile across undulating fields...

As downhill races go, it probably suits me more than something like Wansfell would... being at a gradient where you still need to put a lot of running effort in if you want to be near to the front... certainly isn't as consistently steep as say the descent at Wansfell...

27th December this year.

Interesting dilemma, as Devil's Chair Dash is the day before and i'd planned to do both.

I won't miss this, but do i race on Boxing Day as well?!?

Well i pushed it even tighter this year with my arrival.
    Didn't arrive at the pub until 40mins before the race was due to start, so by the time i'd registered i had less than 35mins to reach the summit of Moel Famau.

Got up there with a couple of minutes to spare and no time for any drills, sprints, etc. Although the weather was that foul i was quite glad i didn't have to hang about.

Straight into the usual manic start and people were all over the show on the first steep rocky section. I found myself in around 8th or 9th after a couple of minutes, but gradually worked my way up to 4th.

I fancied myself to catch 3rd but he pulled away on the long and very slippy lower fell section, and it became a question of fending off the guy behind.... i thought i'd succeeded when he missed the stile into the final fields and continued down the road, but alas he spotted me and was able to jump a gate and get back on track, catching me and relegating me down to 5th.

13:08 which was 16secs slower than last year, but given the weather conditions (it was pissing it down on top, a massive headwind that was a struggle to stand up in at the summit at times, and incredibly greasy underfoot), and having raced yesterday, i was very pleased with that.

Picked up the v40 prize as well (although i believe at least one of the guys in the top 3 was a vet so i picked up the prize by default).