Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lake District 3000 Footers

Re: Lake District 3000 Footers

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    That's how I remember it. I also didn't enter the event but have been up there a few times when it's been on.
    I also thought the record was 7and 1/2 hours-ish, Joss Naylor was the holder and the year-1978, but his shiny new book (which I also got for christmas) lists 8 hrs 20mins, in 1970 so my famously crap memory maintains it's reputation.
    Yes! I just dragged Bill Smith's SMOTS down from the top shelf:-
    Page 107, 2nd paragraph:-
    "Naylor had previously set a record of 8 hours 24 minutes for the Four 3,000s course in the 1970 Ramblers Marathon, but on his run in June 1975, he lowered it to 7 hours 29 minutes. He may well have broken 7 hours had the weather not been so inclement:
    'The mist was down into Keswick and the wind was gale force. I ran from Seathwaite back to Keswick with two cagoules to maintain body heat. Broadstand was like a waterfall and I had to use Lords Rake instead. From Helvellyn shelter to the cairn I had to crawl on hands and knees or be blown away. And the rain came down in stair rods all the time'."

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    It was a Ramblers Association event held on the Saturday nearest to mid-summers' day.
    Absolutely right, I was confusing it with the "Four Passes" which I suspect is another "Gone Forever" event.

Yes! I just dragged Bill Smith's SMOTS down from the top shelf:-
    Page 107, 2nd paragraph:-
    "Naylor had previously set a record of 8 hours 24 minutes for the Four 3,000s course in the 1970 Ramblers Marathon, but on his run in June 1975, he lowered it to 7 hours 29 minutes.
    Well, well my memory is not quite as crap as I remember it to be?
    I wonder if this still stands?
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    Well, well my memory is not quite as crap as I remember it to be?
    I wonder if this still stands?
    I'm sure in the eighties it was beaten but nothing on the Ramblers website about it
    Bill

Yes! I just dragged Bill Smith's SMOTS down from the top shelf
    I never knew you had that
    Bill

I did this about five years ago as a walk (hadn't started running at the time), though I do intend to do it again as a run this year. On the day I got up at 3am but unsurprisingly felt like crap so went back to bed intending to do it some other time. Got up again at about 7 feeling ok so decided to give it a go but did Skiddaw last rather than first, and also went to Grasmere for some reason, only realising afterwards that it's far from the optimum route! I don't think the route's too bad really; sure there's a fair bit of road but the Borrowdale road's not exactly a chore (and there's an off-road alternative), and by the time I got to the A591 I was glad to get some easy miles done.

I'm not too sure what all the fuss is about Lord's Rake, I've been up there many times in the years since with no drama at all. Granted I wouldn't send hundreds of people up there if I was organising an event, but I'd happily to go up there all day long myself (then again I was happy to go down Broad Stand unassisted too, which is less advisable).

And 7.5 hours for that route is unreal - if I do it in under 11 I'll be chuffed!