Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake District 3000 Footers

Re: Lake District 3000 Footers

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I think I remember reading about an LDWA Lakes 3000s challenge event. No longer run because of conditions in Lords Rake?
    Know as the Four 3000s and was actually a YHA event They did run a version without Sca Fell (Three 3000s) but it attracted very little interest and that was dropped too.

Lords Rake is the problem

I'll investigate what the Old County Tops is.[/QUOTE]

Its a great day out for teams of two from Langdale visiting the county tops of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire - Helvellyn, Scafell Pike and Consiton Old Man. Usually held late May (it will be in the calendar). I've done it about half a dozen times but not for a few years, its just a bit too close to Jura and some other big races after that for comfort.

For Old County Tops info. look no further than http://www.achille-ratti-climbing-cl...ce-results.php here you find the 2010 entry form plus the route, photos and results. See you in May.....
    It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys

i'm thinking of giving it a go in the spring, gonna do skiddaw first to get it out of the way! Will see how i feel at helvellyn as to whether to go down the road or stay high for a bit.

I was under the impression that the record for this round was something like seven and a half hours, but stand to be corrected. It was a Ramblers Association event held on the Saturday nearest to mid-summers' day. I did my own version of this round on the mid summer Saturday of 1988 ( did not register with RA ):- Keswick, Skiddaw, back down as far as the car park, then E on the continuation of the car park road ( a track across fields ) to Brundleholme, crossed A66 and picked up the field footpath down St. Johns in the Vale (W side of St. John's Beck ) to Legburthwaite, just 1/2 mile on A 591 to King's Head then the white stones route to Helvellyn Low Man and Helvellyn, the old fence down to Raise Beck, Dunmail Raise, Steel Fell through to Stake Pass, Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, Calf Cove, Ill Crag, Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Lords Rake, Symmonds Knot, Scafell, Lords Rake, Corridor Route, Styhead, Seathwaite, Borrowdale, Keswick. Took in all of the 8x 3000 foot tops, but virtually zeroed the tedium of the A 591. And most of Borrowdale is now a footpath seperate from the road.

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 28-12-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I was under the impression that the record for this round was something like seven and a half hours, but stand to be corrected. It was a Ramblers Association event held on the Saturday nearest to mid-summers' day. I did my own version of this round on the mid summer Saturday of 1988 ( did not register with RA ):- Keswick, Skiddaw, back down as far as the car park, then E on the continuation of the car park road ( a track across fields ) to Brundleholme, crossed A66 and picked up the field footpath down St. Johns in the Vale (W side of St. John's Beck ) to Legburthwaite, just 1/2 mile on A 591 to King's Head then the white stones route to Helvellyn Low Man and Helvellyn, the old fence down to Raise Beck, High Raise, Steel Fell through to Stake Pass, Angle Tarn, Esk Hause, Calf Cove, Ill Crag, Broad Crag, Scafell Pike, Lords Rake, Symmonds Knot, Scafell, Lords Rake, Corridor Route, Styhead, Seathwaite, Borrowdale, Keswick. Took in all of the 8x 3000 foot tops, but vitually zeroed the tedium of the A 591.

Ian.
    That sounds quality Ian.
    Have you any idea what the distance/climb would be of your version?

Al,
    Myself and two friends measured it, independently. We all came up with pretty much the same figures as the Rammblers Assiociation's published figures for their route: - 44 miles and 10,000 feet.

Ian.

Al,
    Myself and two friends measured it, independently. We all came up with pretty much the same figures as the Rammblers Assiociation's published figures for their route: - 44 miles and 10,000 feet.

Ian.
    Cheers Ian.
    I'll put it on my list

I was under the impression that the record for this round was something like seven and a half hours, but stand to be corrected. It was a Ramblers Association event held on the Saturday nearest to mid-summers' day.
    That's how I remember it. I also didn't enter the event but have been up there a few times when it's been on.
    I also thought the record was 7and 1/2 hours-ish, Joss Naylor was the holder and the year-1978, but his shiny new book (which I also got for christmas) lists 8 hrs 20mins, in 1970 so my famously crap memory maintains it's reputation.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I was under the impression that the record for this round was something like seven and a half hours, but stand to be corrected
    I thought someone from Borrowdale set the record in the eighties
    Bill