Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5 year age categories please

Re: 5 year age categories plea

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    Manage 5 year age categories in triathlons with little bother....
    Most Triathlons - entry fee £35 plus?
    Most fell races - entry fee from £1, usually less than £5

I think I'm happy to stick with fell races and 10 year age categories.

i will do 5 year age cats at simonside show FR if you all come and run or help ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

wonder if you'll still think that when your 49 and racing vets who've just made up 40...........saying that in me first few months in the vet 50's it's been more competitive than the vet 45's......

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

I'm happy with 10 year categories, I've got no chance of winning a prize, I'm nowhere near the sharp end, I just do it for fun and to beat myself!! Same with triathlons, they manage 5 year categories there and good for them, I've no chance of winning a prize there either but it doesn't stop me trying!!

I accept what anyone wants to classify in their organised race, more power to the organisers, without them we're well and truely stuffed

I've won M55 twice in NEHRA races on the NYMoors. Categories are strict so even a chancer like me has shot on a lucky day ie when nobody else turns up But it's very encouraging in a sporting sense. There's usually up to 10 prizes in the open category too. Makes you think doesn't it? All you lot over on the Pennines.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    wonder if you'll still think that when your 49 and racing vets who've just made up 40...........saying that in me first few months in the vet 50's it's been more competitive than the vet 45's......
    Didn't bother me unduly at 49, I wasn't winning anything much when I was 41! I agree with you about the V50s, some fast guys out there. Maybe I'll have to wait until I'm 60.
    Last edited by Mark G; 31-12-2009 at 08:20 PM.

The same buggers who beat you this year move up with you and beat you again next season

When I was a senior there were few Veterans around, this winter I have come up against 31 other 50 – 55 year olds in the five races
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Sounds like the three of us (you me and John Doe) are all grumbling being beaten by each other!

Some people are missing the point from the original thread. I am not asking race organisers to provide prizes for all of the age categories, just provide results in 5 year age groupings. I have organised many many fell races myself and I can safely say it doesnt mean more work at all, its just as simple as another tick box on the entry/registration form. Pretty soon I will be moving up into the over 60 cat so it wont really matter to me as I will be at the bottom end of my age grouping again but the last couple of years have been frustrating at some races.

Lefty, I know exactly what you mean. I'm 77 and a month ago, in a race with around 2,500 entries, I finished 45th MV60. That's as high as categories went for both men and women in an International ½ marathon! Yet, last January in my local 10K race with only 250 runners, I was amazed, and grateful, to be awarded a prize for 1st MV75. In six other races last year I'd to strain my guts out to beat a fine selection of MV70's - which left me totally knackered!
    Quite honestly I've got to the stage now when I think it's a waste of time competing and am seriously considering hanging up my racing shoes in favour of the proverbial pipe and slippers. But I'm a competitive animal, there's still life in the old dog fox and I'd welcome the idea of 5 year categories. Even if there were no prizes it would be far more satisfying to officially finish first MV75 in a race rather than 45th MV60.
    Also, I know it doesn't apply to fell racing, but in road and track racing, which I'm also involved with, there's the annual Rankings list to think about. How do statisticians pick out an MV75 if he's officially listed in the results as an MV60?
    So yes, I'm all for 5 year age categories, with or without prizes. It would be all the incentive needed to carry on racing well into my old age.