Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakes 3000' bike/run challenge

Lakes 3000' bike/run challenge

In the autumn '09 fellrunner mag, there's a piece about a "lake district 3000ft peaks and road passes bike/run" by Rick Stewart (on p71, if you're interested).

Can't find any info on the route, or where the running is from - anyone got further info about this challenge, or a way of getting some? This was all caused by red wine last night, but will hopefully come to fruition later in the year! Ta

Should be the bike route on google maps
    Last edited by PaulE; 01-01-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Sorted the riding route (I think)

Re: Lakes 3000' bike/run chall

Paul, vaguely remember seeing this myself. I DO NOT have any insider info on this; BUT surely the optimum cycle route (if solo unsupported and start/finish at Moot Hall) would be a "3 pointed star" centred on Keswick, to car park at top of Spooney Green Lane (for the run up and down Skiddaw ) return to Keswick then to Wythburn (for run up and down Helvellyn and Lower Man) return to Keswick then to Seathwaite ( for Styhead to Ill & Broad Crags, Scafell Pike, Symmonds Knot & Scafell ) return to Keswick. Or are certain specified road passes also part of the challenge?

The challenge specifies Patterdale start and finish, via these passes:
    Kirkstone, Wrynose, Hardknott, Winlatter, Honister (via Newlands) and back via Keswick.

Just had a quick look at your bike route, you'll have to swim across the river at Lorton just now as it was washed away in the floods

Saying that I'd rather head towards Buttermere from there and go via Loweswater/Ennerdale Bridge/Calderbridge a bit like this
    Bill

Cheers for the info Bill, so it's basically the Fred Whitton route without the diversion to Conniston, and using the struggle rather than the main kirkstone pass? Not planning on trying this until the summer, so hopefully there will be a crossing open at Lorton by then.

I did something similar when I was 15, but not as far.

Parked at the bottom of Scafell, biked it into Keswick, then down to Thirlmere to begin ascent of Helvellyn, went up that and down, then biked to Skiddaw, went up that and down, then biked back to Scafell, and did Scafell and Scafell Pike.

Nice one for a summers day

Hi, glad your'e interested in the bike/run. It was me who did it. Rob Blyth did it first and I more or less stuck to his route. Start at Patterdale/Glenridding - run up Helvelyn & back. Bike over Kirkstone, down the Struggle (53mph speed to beat), up Little Langdale to Wrynose and dump bike at Cockley Beck. Run up Scafell via Foxes tarn then across to Sc Pike and east down the Old County Tops race route back to CBeck. Then reverse the Fred Whitton bike route (Hardknott, Cold Fell, Whinlatter, Newlands, Honister) as far as Keswick and dump bike at Millbeck, stagger up Skiddaw via Carl Side and back. Ride like mad back to start via A66 and Dockray road. I had a car meet me at Cockley Beck, Whinlatter and Millbeck so could leave bike, change kit etc.
    Am happy to provide more info if needed. It's a great day out.

Cheers for the info - Starting to actually plan this for the summer, so it'll hopefully get off the ground - just need to persuade someone to act as support crew (or just do it self supported and buy snacks in Keswick, Ambleside and Lorton)

So you did the route clockwise RolandButter? I was thinking anti clockwise, for no better reason than that's the way the Fred Whitton goes... any advantage to either direction in your opininon?

Tell everyone your'e going to do it - that way you won't be able to get out of it!

Going clockwise was based on it being easier (and therefore safer) to do the last 3rd when you'll be tired -finishing along Borrowdale valley, easy running terrain /nav up Skiddaw, then along A66 and over Dockray rather than Hardknott, running Scafell/Scafell P, fast twisty bike descents on Wrynose, Kirkstone. Especially if on own.

Rob did it solo in 17hrs ish. Not sure where he re-stocked on food but will add time if stopping at shops. He also took time locking his bike and stashing kit out of sight.

Support car duties aren't too bad if they are a runner and you'r going clockwise - they can join you up and down Helvelyn, drive to Cockley Beck have a snooze while your'e toiling up the Scafells, drive to Whinlatter via Ambleside, down to Keswick for a bit of shopping, ready for a run up Skiddaw. Quite a pleasant day out really! Just a bit long. Oh and they have to get up really early too.

when you thinking of doing it? Rob wants to have another crack at it, so might I and I've been trying to convince a few others.

R

Thinking of doing it early summer, at the minute it's just me and one mate doing it but more than happy to have others along.

Good thinking on the safe end ot the ride - makes a very good point for clockwise.... Just trying to decide if Hellvellyn should be the first or the last thing to do.

I'm hoping to persuade my father (who's a walker and cyclist, so would probably be happy to potter along with us at some points) to do the support car duty.