Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M'thon trainin, on the fells?

Re: M'thon trainin, on the fel

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    What line of work or past-times were you in before (cycling?). Funnily enough I hit my peak betwen 1984 and 1992, so we probably crossed paths somewhere.
    Came from a background of mountaineering and Munro-bagging - so good strength and stamina. Just had to work on the speed. Did you ever run the Pennine marathon?

Not that one, I was running for the Army, so lots of exotic ones like Berlin, Hong Kong, Rotterdam, Yakima and, err, RAF Swinderby in Lincs. Did the Lyke Wake in 1992 in 5:56 but then spent alot of 1993 in Bosnia and I lost my racing form.

Apologies to the Reverand/Reverend for hijacking your thread. Hope there's something of value for you in my ramblings.

Interesting reading Well my training so far has been in fits and starts, as im carrying an injury that sometimes prevents me running for a couple of days, so consequently missed a few big runs, which is a bit worrying doing lots of speed sessions and have ran a couple of halfs/ 10 milers in the last month or so . So I know i am upto running 6 min miles for 13 but the distance beyond is an unknown!! April will have to include 2 or 3 20milers to give me confidence I can run that far, if nothing else lol! My racing schedule is pretty busy over the next month and i have realised it is hard to marathon train and race well, at the same time, as something has to give!!

Happy to advise if you wish. I'd need to know what your longest run on the road is and at what pace.
    The old sayings will still hold true, I imagine, depending on the depth of your training.

-On your first marathon, in terms of mental effort, half way is about the 20 mile point.

-For every 1 min you gain in the first 20 miles by running too fast, you'll lose at least 3 in the last 6.

I never quite got the pacing right. At my best I sailed to 25 miles and then gritted my teeth, at worst I was suffering by 20.

Thanks Brotherton, I am in this kind of shape - My longest road run so far was 13 mile, in about 122. I raced a ten miler 3 weeks ago and did 5815. The longest time spent on my feet so far has been 1hr 35mins, in a fell race I did at the weekend. I did mile intervals last night and knocked out 6 at 530-40 pace, off 90sec recovery. I have a 20 mile road run pencilled in for sunday, and a 10k on good friday, where I imagine I will run 34:30-35:00. The marathon I am running is on 23rd may, so I am going to do 3 long runs in April and then the Keswick Half on May3rd, then taking it easy ish. Does this sound like a decent plan of action 2 u? Thanks for any advice

Looks feasible. You've certainly done enough speed work for your 2:45 target, but you're short on the long slow distance for which you still have time. The key will lie in those three 20 milers (say 2 hours 15 or 20). I'd probably also want to do a couple of mid-week 15 milers as well in about 1:45. Then halve the mileage in the final week. You should feel itching to get out and run, but it's better to rest and eat.

I always trained dry, ie no water even on 20 mile runs, then drank on the actual race. I'm not recommending that for you, it just happened to suit me. I felt that if I could run 20 in under 2 hours without water then the extra 6 miles in the race itself with water would be no more difficult.

....reads like a typical eee-by-gum-four yorkshiremen sketch. "You were lucky, we had to run sub 2:15 marathons off no training and be back int mine by breakfast". Rev, you need some proper advise which is specific to you and your needs, not some ol' folklore stuff which pre-dates the ark.
    I'm only looking for fun........

The noun is advice, Delboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    The noun is advice, Delboy.
    Thanks “Lad”; always happy to be advised by one so quick with his advice and so learned in his opinions (or should that be onions?).

DelRoy
    I'm only looking for fun........

now now lads. Oh dear my marathon training is now in tatters, or feels like it raced 10k on friday and got a shade over 35mins in windy conditions, so that was what I expected, but couldnt get warm after the race and developed a chill, by the evening I was a slave to the toilet and spent the remainder of the weekend laid up and not eating, I therefore missed my planned long run I haven't been able to eat a proper meal yet, although today I feel as if im about better. I haven't ran since Friday though and dont think i'll be able to run atleast until the weekend, were if possible I will race the Gisb moors 12 mile fell race.
    Im worried I haven't got time to cram my long runs in now