Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camper Vans

Camper Vans

Any advice?
    I'm thinking it's time to stop dithering and finally splash out on a camper. The only thing is that it has to be small enough to be used as my primary vehicle (has to be small enough for car parks etc), and has to be big enough for 2 adults and a smallish child.
    I'm leaning towards a Mazda Bongo with a pop top, but open to other suggestions, warnings, etc.
    Anyone?

Re: Camper Vans

You're only allowed one choice.
    This one!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Any advice?
    I'm thinking it's time to stop dithering and finally splash out on a camper. The only thing is that it has to be small enough to be used as my primary vehicle (has to be small enough for car parks etc), and has to be big enough for 2 adults and a smallish child.
    I'm leaning towards a Mazda Bongo with a pop top, but open to other suggestions, warnings, etc.
    Anyone?
    A mate of mine has a Bongo and rates it very highly...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Master

A bongo is ok as a weekender/car, but not for extended camping tours IMO

I have a VW T3 and it`s great copes, with trips to Europe Switzerland, Scotland etc etc, it`s a great camper and i would not swap it for any of the modern stuff

We run it on LPG at half the cost of Diesel or petrol.

Take a look here http://www.club80-90.co.uk/

And Here http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/home/home.htm

Theres loads of info to be had via Google.

Good luck
    The older I get the Faster I was

A mate of mine also has a Bongo, the only thing I have heard him complain about is the fuel economy. I don’t know how it compares to similar types of camper, it may prohibit you from using it as your primary vehicle
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes, I'm actually thinking about making a few more.

You dissing my Bongo John.

I luv my Bongo but john is right its perhaps not for everyone.

with Bongos theirs loads of diffrent conversions and also unconverted.

I have a home conversion i.e. did it all my self sleeps 2 downstairs and has sink 2 ring burner and fridge and plenty storage under bed and up in roof space when parked up.

The longest I have spent in it is a full week and middle of the week had to empty it and tidy up, you do need to be organised.

They are not the best on fuel but will happily run on cooking oil if you can source it in quantity or any of the bio fuels around.

I slept in mine around 50 times last year down to -12 and was still fine.

The main pro of bongo versus VW is purchase price versus age.

Check out the Bongo owners site Bongo Fuery loads for sale.
    One thing to watch out for is some were imported as campers some as vans and some as cars so watch the cost of the road tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    You're only allowed one choice.
    This one!
    Nice "classic" van, Simon! Trouble with the old classics; it would take you the best part of 3 days to 'wheeze' your way to Fort William.
    I've now had 2 'campervans' but not the plush professionally converted sort. As I see it, particularly with the older VW's, you are paying through the nose for a ( very nice ) bijou bedroom and a bijou kitchen, regardless of the vehicular state of the base van.
    I used to run a Mitsubishi L300 with a self constructed sleeping platform, in the rear, under which I could slide all my outdoor kit in office removal crates. It had a flip-down cooker on the bulkhead behind the driver's seat and a flip-down table on the bulkhead behind the double passenger seat. Myself and the SO had several excellent 15 day holidays in it (Full length of the Outer Hebrides, Irish 3,000 footers, Brittany coastline etc)
    I'm now running a Peugeot Expert HDI with just 7 office removal crates in the back, each crate has a 3/4" plywood lid ( thus allowing each crate to be accessed individually) ample room for 2 Alpkit Fat Airics. Flip down cooker is on one of the back doors, allowing cooking alfresco when the weather permits. Had 8 days in Cornwall last summer, plus numerous support duties on BG's, Ramsay's, Paddy's and a Meirionydd.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 06-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Wow, thanks for all your replies.
    When I say I'd need to use it as my primary vehicle I really mean it has to get me to work, about 9 miles two or three times a week. The rest of the time I cycle. Mrs Duff has a sensible little car for general family running around.
    I think I need to do a bit more reading. VW campers would be my 'desert island' choice but pricey whilst Bongos lok like they would fit my particular bill. The Bongo Fury site looks interesting, I'll keep an eye on the 'Sales' bit.
    Meanwhile WDs post has given me further food for thought.
    It's all slightly scary.

Master

[quote=wheezing donkey;292585]Nice "classic" van, Simon! Trouble with the old classics; it would take you the best part of 3 days to 'wheeze' your way to Fort William.

Not all of them are that slow, take a look here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZnVtilxLBw

ClassicV Dubs are one of the most versatile campers going. e.g once the origial engine is shot on a T3, its a simple job to put in a modern Subaru engine which totaly transform the van (not for Purists though)
    Last edited by JohnK; 07-01-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was