Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round the Island 2day Ultra

Round the Island 2day Ultra

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone here had entered, or was planning to enter, the Round the Island 2 day ultra marathon around the Isle of Wight in June?

It follows the 69 mile coastal path, with a camp at the halfway point and is run over the Saturday and Sunday of 19&20 June.

I've not done anything quite this long before, but having grown up on the Island, it does seem rather tempting.

Any thoughts, comments, etc.?

Ta.

Re: Round the Island 2day Ultr

Quote Originally Posted by JSBean View Post
    Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone here had entered, or was planning to enter, the Round the Island 2 day ultra marathon around the Isle of Wight in June?

It follows the 69 mile coastal path, with a camp at the halfway point and is run over the Saturday and Sunday of 19&20 June.

I've not done anything quite this long before, but having grown up on the Island, it does seem rather tempting.

Any thoughts, comments, etc.?

Ta.
    Why is it 2 days?? how much climbing. I do like the IOW and theres some good sailing round there. Ive done the other RTI (sailing) a great occasion.

I'm not sure why it is 2 days?

The route is not that difficult, certainly when compared to what most of the people on these forums would be used to. In terms of climbing, I haven't seen the numbers, but based on local knowledge, it wouldn't be that much (probably wouldn't even be considered a "C" by the FRA), as it follows the coast and most of the hills are inland. That said, we're not talking pancake flat as there are a few points with steep climbs (out of East Cowes, Wooton Bridge, the Undercliff at St. Lawrence, the Military Road undulations, up to the Tennyson Monument, the hills above Alum Bay).

It is a route that could be completed in one day by the very fit (BG'ers, MM'ers, experienced ultramarathoners, etc.), so perhaps by splitting it into two XNRG are hoping to make it more inclusive, a bit more fun, and appeal to the slightly less hardcore? Those who haven't done anything of this length before?

If this is their intention, then it's worked in my case. I did a quick bit of maths and I think that I could do it in 2 days of 8 hours per day (approx 4.5 mph).

A fun ultra?

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Energy
    Total cost of the Event £98
    The Bob Graham Round at a cost of £0.00 is much better value for your money
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

But what about the other costs of the BGR?

With an ultra on the IOW it will cost me £20 for ferry (which I don't even need to get a bus to catch as I live in Southampton). For me to get up North and back to recce however many times would cost quite a lot. I don't need to recce the IOW route as I know almost all of it already.

I know the RTI isn't going to be the toughest event ever, but I'm not yet ready for the toughest event ever. One day, I hope to be of a standard where I can reasonably start to contemplate the BGR. I'm not yet 25, so I reckon the BGR is one for my 30s, once I've got a few MMs under my belt, been up and down Ben Nevis, learnt how to find my way around the middle of nowhere, and gone under 3 hours for a mara.

With that in mind, a 2 day saunter around the Isle of Wight seems like a good event to start out with.

You know what XRunner? You've got me thinking...

If 69 miles in 2 days is "easy" and costs £100 and is somewhere that I can get to easily and where I have family and friends, why do I have to do it as part of this event?

Is there any real advantage to be had by paying £100 for someone to organise what I could organise myself? For the costs there is a minibus to drive competitors half a mile up the road to camp in my old school sports hall which is a mile from my parents' house, then camp in a field on the other side of the Island, get fed, and then the next day finish the race back by my parents'.

What with your talk of BGRs, a better challenge would be to go over and try and do the whole thing in 24 hours non-stop (ave. 3-ish mph).

Entry fee? £Free.

Cheers XRunner

i'm planning on doing it too
    pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JSBean View Post
    You know what XRunner? You've got me thinking...

If 69 miles in 2 days is "easy" and costs £100 and is somewhere that I can get to easily and where I have family and friends, why do I have to do it as part of this event?

Is there any real advantage to be had by paying £100 for someone to organise what I could organise myself? For the costs there is a minibus to drive competitors half a mile up the road to camp in my old school sports hall which is a mile from my parents' house, then camp in a field on the other side of the Island, get fed, and then the next day finish the race back by my parents'.

What with your talk of BGRs, a better challenge would be to go over and try and do the whole thing in 24 hours non-stop (ave. 3-ish mph).

Entry fee? £Free.

Cheers XRunner
    Just reading through the thread, when the price came up I thought Why doesn't he just go out and do it? and then I read this.

Only way to go and you'll feel better for it afterwards

any idea on the route? it says something about signs being up pointing the way for the most part, do you know if these are permanent tourist signs?

maybe i'll go over and have a browse soon, no excuse not to really as i live in pompey 5 mins from the hovercraft!
    pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

Kenward,

The route is a pretty easy one to follow. It is well marked on OS Outdoor Leisure 29 map with green diamonds and is the route that hugs the whole of the coast line of the Isle of Wight (apart from a couple of inland excursions).

I'm fairly certain that it is well signposted, as it's a 'proper' established path, not just a temporary one for the race. Certainly I do recall seeing the permanent signposts, but I can't recall how extensive their distribution is. Navigation shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you keep the sea to your left you can't go wrong.

The only points where I think people could get lost are the left (North) turn at Wooton Bridge [552, 923 on OL29], the drop down on to the seafront at Ryde [584, 924], the woods above Priory Bay [631, 908], getting through Bembridge [642, 887], spotting the climb to the right (North) at St. Lawrence [533, 761], and the almost dog-leg section just before Newtown [401, 901]. So if you do go for a recce I'd think about doing those spots.

However, the nicest part of the route is the SW coast line, but that's fairly easy to navigate. The Needles XC Half Marathon on 30 May covers a small part of the course, but will give you a taster of the terrain as well as being a great race with spectacular views from the top of the downs by the Needles.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan.