Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Wild Boar

Re: Really Wild Boar

Never seen more fallers in a race (including a couple of decent efforts myself) but I did wear tights, so didn't slash my shins to ribbons, unlike my friends who'd taken the piss beforehand:wink:
    Finished quite poorly, but got a spot prize to compensate.
    Thanks to the RO and the marshalls, it was a cracking race, I'll be back next year for sure.

Debbie, full credit to you and Gary and all the other Marshalls and helpers for putting on the race, I had a whale of a time. After 5/6 years my first 'snowy' fell race, previous car was useless in bad weather so never dared venturing out to races with winter conditions.

Special thanks to everyone in front for sorting out some steps for me up to the summit and a nice path to follow (save me getting out my compass) on the way down. Finally found a benefit for being near the back, can we have snow for next year!

Gutted, gutted, gutted I wasn't back from work for this one. Had to drive past the Fat Lamb (after the race) on my way back home from the NE - still loads of cars and could even make out the path on the final push to the summit plateau.

For the record, my game plan was to use full body cover as a human sledge - would this have worked?

As per Mr Tarrier above. Had to work despite best laid plans not to. Gutted to miss all the snowy fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mattp View Post
    As per Mr Tarrier above. Had to work despite best laid plans not to. Gutted to miss all the snowy fun.
    Feeling your pain MP. Have done this route a few times now in training and for fun, and had the best time last week when everything was frozen - stunning, crunchy conditions on top and could see for miles. The rest of the year it's a bog-fest on top and marsh-fest coming down (especially if you have my navigational skills). Still great though.

Banned

Pencilled in for next year.
    I will run this race and hopefully 2013.
    Good effort Debbie and Gary on getting a full race on.

Quote Originally Posted by Howgill Tarrier View Post
    Gutted, gutted, gutted I wasn't back from work for this one. Had to drive past the Fat Lamb (after the race) on my way back home from the NE - still loads of cars and could even make out the path on the final push to the summit plateau.

For the record, my game plan was to use full body cover as a human sledge - would this have worked?
    I could not get away from work either. had to stay until out IT providors had done the upgrade so missed out again two years in a row. I am going to do this deffo next year. G&D have a good trip back to the Pyranees

Not long now to the Really Wild Boar fell race! Full kit is required to run this race. There will be a safety/route briefing 10 minutes before the start. Can you ensure that your race number can easily be seen by all our marshalls. Also all race numbers will be collected before you leave the 'finish funnel' so can you help take pins out to ensure this process runs smoothly. Many thanks Debbie and Gary Devine

I'm up from Saddleworth for a pre Christmas break near Hawes so hoping to get over for this one. Subject to the girlfriend being in favour of my plan. It might cost me a round of drinks and a spot of lunch up Tan Hill. Route looks route on the descent like it might suit someone with long legs.

Well that was certainly wild today. The wind slowed me to a walk for the last section onto the plateaux. Same for those around me. Felt the cold as well although there were some wearing only a vest. I was glad of the body cover when the rain started to sting my face. Clear of the two steep sections off the summit of Wild Boar the going was super fast with the wind strong on my back. Managed to stay on my feet as I worked hard to turn my legs over flying at sub 5 minute mile pace. Tricky stuff being soft under studs. Apparently some went wrong, missing the last checkpoint where the outward route was rejoined at the stream crossing. Really enjoyably race in tough conditions. Much appreciation to the martial's given those conditions. A hardy bunch. The awning on the camper used for registration was flapping but the organisers certainly were not. Seemingly effortless organisation. Well hosted event and enjoyed the safety brief. Serious and amusing together. Pleased I made the effort to get up to Cumbria for this one.