Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Wild Boar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    REALLY WILD BOAR - DATE CHANGE!!
    The Really Wild Boar fell race will now be held on Sunday 23rd October 2PM start!!

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    Y
    Nice 1 Debbie. Should be fun weekend . Gt Whernside Saturday followed by Really Wild Boar. Don't suppose you've got a link to a map with route on ?
    Cheers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    REALLY WILD BOAR - DATE CHANGE!!
    The Really Wild Boar fell race will now be held on Sunday 23rd October 2PM start!!

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    What if not many people have seen this message? There may not be many runners as it's not on the calendar.

Also where is it?!

It's in the name, Wild Boar Fell.

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    What if not many people have seen this message? There may not be many runners as it's not on the calendar.

Also where is it?!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I think we have managed to make the Fell Running calendar once in the last 7 years! We live in the French Pyrenees so the date for the race changes every year depending on when we can make it back. I have posted the date change on the FRA Facebook page, the Pyrenees Haven Facebook page and also on Twitter, we generally do ok for attendance.

Date & time: Sun 23rd October 2016 at 14:00
    Region: York. Dales
    Category: AS
    Distance: 8km / 5m
    Climb: 427m / 1401ft
    Venue: Street on the A683 Sedbergh/Kirkby Stephen road.
    Grid ref: 743015
    Skills & experience: ER, LK, NS
    Minimum age: 16

We'll be at Great Whernside as Gary is planning on running, so it should indeed be a great race. I think there is a link somewhere in this thread for a map, I'll have a look and post something on here.

Cheers
    Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com
    Last edited by Pyrenees Haven; 30-09-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks for letting me know where it starts Debbie, looking forward to the race.

Luckily for me the new date coincides with a half-term break in Askrigg . Not having ANY local knowledge of this one, and no chance to recce, a map or route description would be much appreciated. Found this on FRB from a link earlier on this thread. It's from 2011, so not sure if the route has changed? cheers....

.from the hamlet of Street follow the bridleway up on to the fell. Follow the bridleway crossing a stream and going through a gate all the way up to the shoulder of Wild Boar. At the top gate go through it and follow the steep climb on the right up onto the summit plateau. Keep the drop on your left hand side and run to the far end of the plateau to a group of cairns. Do not cross the fence but do an almost full about turn to pick a trod up which leads to the summit cairn. At the summit go straight off the front of the fell and return to the stream at and you cossed/went through on your way up the bridleway. Return on the bridleway back to Street.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Luckily for me the new date coincides with a half-term break in Askrigg . Not having ANY local knowledge of this one, and no chance to recce, a map or route description would be much appreciated. Found this on FRB from a link earlier on this thread. It's from 2011, so not sure if the route has changed? cheers....

.from the hamlet of Street follow the bridleway up on to the fell. Follow the bridleway crossing a stream and going through a gate all the way up to the shoulder of Wild Boar. At the top gate go through it and follow the steep climb on the right up onto the summit plateau. Keep the drop on your left hand side and run to the far end of the plateau to a group of cairns. Do not cross the fence but do an almost full about turn to pick a trod up which leads to the summit cairn. At the summit go straight off the front of the fell and return to the stream you crossed/went through on your way up the bridleway. Return on the bridleway back to Street.
    The route is the same, we have checkpoints and bucket drops to ensure you stick to the route and make it back safely! I will do a brief route description at the start.

I can't find a map all our UK maps are in Leeds, I post add a map to the forum on the Friday before the race when we return to the UK. Unless some lovely person wants to upload one before then!

See you soon.
    Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

Cheers Debbie.

routemap26.jpg

The MMap trace is the route i take, the red line is the route everyone else takes, and the yellow line is another route i'm trying some time. You have to come back to the ford where the flag icon is, if not you'll be considered missing.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    routemap26.jpg

The MMap trace is the route i take, the red line is the route everyone else takes, and the yellow line is another route i'm trying some time. You have to come back to the ford where the flag icon is, if not you'll be considered missing.
    Good work Mr Brightside!

Gary says the yellow line is the route people took when we started the race and found it to be a very sodden mess!

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com