Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham Round

Re: Bob Graham Round

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I worried about this, so I had my parents meat me at 8 am on my Paddy, with bacon butties and coffee, i just thought i#d want breakfast and then get stuck into finishing the day.
    Did this work Iain? Did you want the bacon buttie at 'breakfast' time or were you happy to eat any of the other non conventional breakfast food stuffs you may have packed??

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    FWIW years of working shifts taught me that i needed to forget conventional timing and adapt my life around my shifts e.g. after a night shift finishing at 0600 hrs i would go home have my evening meal and treat the morning as an evening. going to bed at 1300-1400hrs then get up at around 2000 hrs have breakfast and go to work.

I now adapt this method when i am running ulta`s that take in night sections after all food is only fuel , so as long as you enjoy it the time of day is of no real relevance.

Good luck
    I realis that it cant work for everybody but it doe`s for me
    I can fully see how this works in this respect but I assume your shift wasn't a 24 hour one?? I suppose in my case I'm asking mentally is it best to treat the day as the time it is and indeed have a breakfast ready at Dunmail as opposed to noodles say as psychologically I imagine this is what my head would be telling me??

Quote Originally Posted by Fellmincer View Post
    There was an article about overcoming jetlag on long haul flights using a similar approach as this. Apparently having your evening meal/lunch/breakie at the time you would normally without taking account of the time difference meant you recover quicker or are not affected at all.
    Yes, I can relate to this in the above statement and am therefore inclined to thing it may be the best approach to have breakfast foods at the end of the leg that gets me there at breakfast time??

I don't know I've never done a BGR, it's all new therefore it's quite a serious question, unlike some of the answers.

The eating thing is a major factor in success I feel and it being the area I struggle the most with need all the help I can get!!!

Emmi don't get too hung up on the food, as long as you have enough and a good mix you should be fine.

Just have plenty of choices both on the hill and at road crossings. You may want to send a pacer on ahead, as you approach, the end of each leg to tell your road crew what you want them to have ready for you. You wouldn't have to decide until you were approaching each crossing.

You could always go IV with a pacer in front with a camelbak on.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I use purely gels, sucseed caps (electrolytes) and Hammers Nutrition Perpetrum, water and flat coke, this is from experimenting over 15 100 mile ultras and a couple of dozen 50 milers. I am also a vegetarian and a coeliac so limited in what food I can take in.
    What ever works for you, utilise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I use purely gels, sucseed caps (electrolytes) and Hammers Nutrition Perpetrum, water and flat coke, this is from experimenting over 15 100 mile ultras and a couple of dozen 50 milers. I am also a vegetarian and a coeliac so limited in what food I can take in.
    What ever works for you, utilise.
    Don't know why flat coke works, but it does, sorted me out on a 100 mile bike ride a couple of years ago.
    Hills and Guinness!

If all else fails HARIBO !

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    If all else fails HARIBO !
    Had my first ever Goldbear on Leg 5 of your round. Went home with an unopened bag of Jellybabies
    Hills and Guinness!

They have used flat coke for years on Hawaii ironman, think that it is basically sugar solution, a taste most people like and in flat form, there's no bubbles to cause any 'gas problems' etc.

Anyone tried peanuts...thought it might help with anti-cramp?