Page 538 of 553 FirstFirst ... 38438488528536537538539540548 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,380 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Whilst thoroughly enjoying the demise of Liverpool I am getting a bit fed up with Klopp...
    Oh yes!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Sad news about the passing of Frank Worthington.

Because of him, as a teenager, I used to support Huddersfield Town. I was fortunate to see him play live a few times even though in the 70's it was difficult to get to matches from Mid-Wales.

He was probably one of the most underrated strikers and did not always get the recognition he deserved, sometimes self inflicted by his off the field antics. Always had a fag in his mouth and a tasty bird on his arm.

He would walk into any Premier League team today.

RIP Frank.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 23-03-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Sad news about the passing of Frank Worthington.

Because of him, as a teenager, I used to support Huddersfield Town. I was fortunate to see him play live a few times even though in the 70's it was difficult to get to matches from Mid-Wales.

He was probably one of the most underrated strikers and did not always get the recognition he deserved, sometimes self inflicted by his off the field antics. Always had a fag in his mouth and a tasty bird on his arm.

He would walk into any Premier League team today.

RIP Frank.
    He was a wonderful flair player but of the type that was generally mistrusted by England managers. As one article I read said, he was the type of player the fans would pick.

This goal was pretty special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQC7VWGa9BA

But bettered in my opinion by this rocket from Peter Lorimer, who also sadly died recently.

https://twitter.com/forgottengoals/s...319488?lang=en

I wish I'd seen him in his heyday. I did used to go to Lorimer's pub, The Commercial in the late 1990's before Leeds matches and he was a smashing bloke. Always happy to chat while pulling pints. You would never have thought he'd been one of the best players in the country a couple of decades earlier. Also at that time, he employed the great John Charles to collect the glasses. How fortunes have changed for footballers.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    He was a wonderful flair player but of the type that was generally mistrusted by England managers. As one article I read said, he was the type of player the fans would pick.

This goal was pretty special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQC7VWGa9BA

But bettered in my opinion by this rocket from Peter Lorimer, who also sadly died recently.

https://twitter.com/forgottengoals/s...319488?lang=en

I wish I'd seen him in his heyday. I did used to go to Lorimer's pub, The Commercial in the late 1990's before Leeds matches and he was a smashing bloke. Always happy to chat while pulling pints. You would never have thought he'd been one of the best players in the country a couple of decades earlier. Also at that time, he employed the great John Charles to collect the glasses. How fortunes have changed for footballers.
    Another cracking goal I had forgotten about WP.

If Frank Worthington had called in The Commercial for a beer he would have been emptying the glasses quicker than the gentle giant John Charles could collect them!

I think the complaints of UEFA and the Premier League accusing the proposed Super League of being "greedy" have a bit of the pot calling the kettle black about them.

What amuses me is that Spurs are included in the "big 6". Is that based on all the trophies they've won in the last 30 years?

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    What amuses me is that Spurs are included in the "big 6". Is that based on all the trophies they've won in the last 30 years?
    Indeed. The whole thing stinks anyway but including Tottenham is laughable. They’ve not won the league in 50 years.

I bet it won’t happen. I think these clubs (or their owners anyway) have underestimated the backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Indeed. The whole thing stinks anyway but including Tottenham is laughable. They’ve not won the league in 50 years.

I bet it won’t happen. I think these clubs (or their owners anyway) have underestimated the backlash.
    I don't pretend to follow football but I assume this is "all about the fans"?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-04-2021 at 07:49 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Appalling these clubs make the rules such that they cannot possibly be relegated from this superleague.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Appalling these clubs make the rules such that they cannot possibly be relegated from this superleague.
    Spot on. That’s what makes this league beyond the pale. Some people think the Premier League is too heavily stacked in favour of the big clubs but at least it’s based on competition. As Leicester proved a few years ago, clubs from outside the elite can occasionally be successful.