Page 533 of 553 FirstFirst ... 33433483523531532533534535543 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,330 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

To be honest i'm not entirely sure on the legalities of our unique situation...

I believe the arrangement is that we can go back to Coventry at any point, in the unlikely event a deal is struck with the current owners of the Ricoh Arena. So my belief is we use St Andrews in some kind of "pay as you play" rental agreement. I would imagine we are making some kind of token contributions to the upkeep and maintenance of St Andrews, but certainly not on the level of being owners of a stadium.

Not saying that Covid doesn't affect us at all... but despite all of our shenanigans off the pitch, we actually appear to be one of the more stable clubs financially!

I'm rather torn on the issue of Premier League clubs helping out the lower league clubs. Yes the Premier League itself could potentially provide a grant/donation... but if clubs themselves are instructed to give away money, then where does it stop in the future? It's a similar story with the politics/racism in football... BLM has been bought into the footballing spotlight, but what about the next political issue to come along... who is going to govern what is and what isn't acceptable at football?

On the subject of a Premier League bail-out... more worrying to me is that fans of the big Premier League clubs appear to think it is of absolutely no consequence if half of the football pyramid goes to the wall... when in fact it will quite obviously be the death-knell for the entire game in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I
    but yes i wonder what the response will be when the World Cup is on, given that it's common knowledge that it was "bought" with bribery, and the well-publicised issues with immigrant (slave) workers involved in the construction of the stadiums.
    Given that beIN Sports have kinda "bought" the football governing bodies in this country by paying so much for TV rights and Qatar is licensing the rights for the world cup. I think money will talk, so I'm not that hopeful of hearing much about it in the TV coverage.
    Hopefully some of the good newspaper/radio journalists will cover the issues during the tournament though.

Banned
    I see the new hand ball rule is a joke.

On top of today's crazy scores in England, SerieA appear to have gone one better...!

Juventus vs Napoli.... Napoli have had a few players positive for Corona, and claim that local regulations mean they must all self-isolate in Naples.

The Italian FA are suggesting that as they have 13 players fit and available, they had to fulfil their game in Turin tonight.

So a farcical situation where Juventus travelled on their coach to the stadium, got changed as usual, waiting for a game to kick off.... While their opponents were still 500 miles away in Naples having not travelled.

Expectation is that Juventus will be awarded a 3-0 win, Napoli punished in some way... With Napoli appealing against everything.

On the pitch... Atalanta, having won their first two games 4-2 and 4-1, beat Cagliari 5-2 at lunchtime.

Could be a great season.

On top of today's crazy scores in England...
    Crazy indeed. If I'd've put a three way accumulator on those scores for West Ham, Spurs and Villa, I'd be able to buy a small country now. Unbelievable!

I wonder if the games being played without crowds makes a difference. It might be easier to go into your shell without thousands of people shouting at you.

Spurs hot on the heels of Liverpool to become the Premier League diving champions.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I saw a stat this weekend that suggest in the early 90's, most top Premier League teams were getting between 1 and 3 penalties a season on average... last year it suggested Liverpool/Man Utd/etc got closer to 20...

I'm not sure how accurate the stat was ...
    Not very

2019-20 Penalties awarded
    Man Utd = 14
    Liverpool = 5

So are there any 'non-league' fans/followers/supporters around these parts?

Quote Originally Posted by RobGrillo View Post
    So are there any 'non-league' fans/followers/supporters around these parts?
    I am a "follower" of my local non-league side, Bedworth United, currently residing (i think) 3 divisions below the Vauxhall Conference, or whatever its called nowadays.

Rarely go to any football any more, but have followed them both home and away in the past. Probably a better matchday experience than going to a league match... cheaper, can have a drink should you desire, no segregation and relatively little chance of any aggro from other fans.

Have a few FA Cup experiences with them... In the 90's we played our bitter rivals Nuneaton Borough in the FA Cup. We would usually average a crowd of about 150, but there were 3000 in the ground that day, and as is often the case at games of this nature, a lot of problems off the field and in the town.

In about 2009 we got to the latter stages of the FA Cup qualifying rounds... played another non-league club from Coventry away from home, and took an away following of several hundred on the short trip, where a mass celebration led to a wall falling down. In the next round we were drawn away at York City, which was perhaps the biggest ever match in the club's history... another large following made the long trip up, which was not without incident on and off the field... i had an unscheduled stop in the cells that night, although that was due to being absolutely plastered and missing our coach and final train back south, rather than any nasty behaviour... in fact i was glad of somewhere to lie down!

Also very loosely follow some of the other local clubs from time to time... if i fancy a game i'll just take a look at the fixtures and see which one takes my fancy... plenty to choose from round here... Bedworth, Nuneaton, Leamington, VS Rugby, and plenty more.

Very rare now though, i don't think i've been to a game at any level for at least a year.

I see that Chorley won their big local cup derby away to Wigan.... Tindersticks and FellUpFellDown will be dancing in their living rooms tonight!!!