Page 510 of 553 FirstFirst ... 10410460500508509510511512520 ... LastLast
Results 5,091 to 5,100 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

I don't think the decision to come off or not should be made by the team whose players are being abused. Once it gets to the third stage of UEFA's protocol the referee should automatically make the decision to take the teams off and abandon the game. The team whose fans are offending should then forfeit the game.

There is a problem with racism in eastern Europe generally. The monkey noises and chants are very reminiscent of what it was like in English grounds in the early 1980's. The problem hasn't totally gone but it is a world away from what it was like back then. I remember going to a match where Alex Williams the Manchester City keeper was pelted with bananas.

UEFA has been too soft on this for too long and are only belatedly getting tougher. I agree to some extent with Llani's point that there is a certain hypocrisy in England - some of our fans regularly disgrace themselves as we know. It has long been a national embarrassment. But it's not a reason not to act on racist abuse. Countries can overtime control what goes on in their stadia by issuing banning orders. If they don't even acknowledge the problem, which appears to be the case with Bulgaria then eventually they shouldn't be allowed to participate in international tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    ‘We know what is going to happen when visiting certain countries so we should get off our high horse and either accept their rules/customs/behavior or don't bother going rather than feign outrage/offence when it happens’

God help us
    Well said DT

Banned
    West ham sack their manager.

Let's hope they go down.

Never forgiven them since they CHEATED Sheff United. Fines are typically a way of supporting a southern club.

When that 2nd goal went in last night.....
    Jay Rodrigues, he's one of our own
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    The special one appears to be failing to improve spurs.

Atalanta (my Italian team) smashing it up against Valencia...

They'll be happy for everybody continuing to say "everyone will want to draw Atalanta"

They are no Juventus, and I expect Liverpool and Man City will be too strong for them, but they are no pushovers.

It's a shame that they can't play their home games at their stadium, as it's not yet up to UEFA standard, and having to play in the San Siro. As fantastic as the San SIro is (in my opinion the greatest stadium in the world), teams would not be wanting to go to Bergamo...

Banned
    What made them your favourite team Travs?

I'm a huge fan of Italian football anyway, and have done a number of trips over to see matches.

Got a soft spot for Lazio, as the first Italian match I ever went to was the Rome Derby in the Lazio ultras end. Also AC Milan.... when I was a lad, they were top team in the world, and a couple of years ago I went to Milan vs Juve in the San Siro and nothing will ever come close to the atmosphere that night...

But on that trip I also went to Atalanta, their fans are mental/brilliant, and it was a proper old-fashioned ground... the "end" was basically a concrete terrace with some makeshift seats bolted on, huge moat and glass barrier to stop the fans invading the pitch. Atmosphere was unbelievable (no doubt helped by a last-minute winner vs Inter Milan!)….. just a proper old-school football experience.

ps I have to say that this was well before they started competing for champions league, i'm not a glory-hunter!!

Banned
    Doesn't appear that many of the prem league are happy with VAR at the moment.

Other than a few speckies of the clubs involved, is anyone else interested?

Final nail in the coffin for football in my opinion.

I'd love for Cov to get back in the 2nd division (hopefully this season we'll do it)….. but honestly got no desire to see us in the Premier League.

Extortionate ticket prices.
    Large percentage of games re-scheduled for TV (with no thought for the fan who has to travel the length of the country for a Friday/Monday night 7:45pm kickoff, or saturday/sunday 12pm.
    VAR fiasco. Can't even celebrate a goal now.

I've not been to a Cov match for well over a season now, and it's two years since my last away game. People might think it's deserting the team in our dark days. But it's simply the complete erosion of the matchday experience in this country... to be honest it's been on the cards at CCFC since we left Highfield Road.

I've been to more Italian matches in the past 3 years than English matches!

However I have no sympathy for the teams in the Premier League... they are greedy as hell and would pull up the trapdoor tomorrow given the chance.

The only thing that will change football in this country is a nationwide boycott of Sky TV and BT Sports (will never happen), or the general population getting bored and switching off in huge numbers (unlikely), or one of the bigger teams going bump (a Liverpool/Man Utd..... I don't even think a Chelsea/Spurs/Man City going bust would change things).

The only other thing, linked to boycott of TV channels, is mass protest by the match going fans. Example in Italy a couple of years ago.... Sampdoria vs Genoa, the Genoa derby, one of the most spectacular in football, never mind Italy... got rescheduled for a Monday night, which is massively unpopular in Italy (sunday afternoons is the traditional football time in Italy).

Ultras of both teams said to the authorities "you want this game televised to showcase the atmosphere to the world... then move it back to sunday or you'll be playing it in front of an empty ground with no atmosphere"..... game got moved back to sunday afternoon.

More possible in places like Italy/Germany/France/Balkans, where the fans are well organised…. can't see anything like that in the Premier League... tv money has too much influence and the fans don't seem to have the appetite to change it as long as their team is doing ok.
    Last edited by Travs; 24-02-2020 at 09:01 AM.