Page 535 of 553 FirstFirst ... 35435485525533534535536537545 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Really sad to hear the news about Maradona.

Despite what people may think about him, to come from his beginnings to be the greatest footballer ever, unlikely to ever be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Really sad to hear the news about Maradona.

Despite what people may think about him, to come from his beginnings to be the greatest footballer ever, unlikely to ever be seen again.
    Greatest footballer ever? Stretching it a bit Trav's!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Greatest footballer? Probably deserves a thread of its own, but Zidane gets my vote. Whatever you think about his fall from grace, the ability to breeze past world class defenders and the footballing brain to play the perfect ball every time are the enduring memoriesi have.

Anyway back to proper football issues. I thought the sacking of Slav yesterday was harsh. He has worked miracles with the players he has and to be fair, I don't think the Baggies have played badly all season. They just fade in the final quarter of the game when they don't have the quality on the bench as the more established Premiership sides. A point against Man City away had me thinking we'd reached a turning point but no, it's goodbye Slav and hello Big Sam. I know he has a track record of escaping relegation but the squad are really not a good match for his style of play. Can't say I'm looking forward to it and hoping to be proved wrong.

Maradona was a pretty unsavoury individual off the field, despite his far left leannigs (which were perhaps his only saving grace). Pele was/is a far better man on and off the field.

The best player I've actually seen play was Beckham. His distribution and natural skill were a delight to see, even though I was supporting the other team.

The best football team ever, however, is seriously not in doubt. Mighty Bradford City, had they not been just a little bit unlucky in one or two of the games through the years, would be undisputed kings of Euope, the World, etc etc. Much better than those ruffians east of Pudsey.

Quote Originally Posted by RobGrillo View Post
    The best football team ever, however, is seriously not in doubt. Mighty Bradford City, had they not been just a little bit unlucky in one or two of the games through the years, would be undisputed kings of Euope, the World, etc etc. Much better than those ruffians east of Pudsey.
    A much needed narrow victory against Cambridge today. 4th from the bottom of the league. How long will it be until they sing "City are back" again?

But perhaps more interestingly, Liverpool 7-0 away at Palace. Just when we thought it might be a close title race, suddenly they're 6 points clear.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Liverpool 7-0 away at Palace. Just when we thought it might be a close title race, suddenly they're 6 points clear.
    The quality of the goals too ... I can't stop watching Firmino's first, a thing of absolute beauty.

And Klopp reckons he needs more subs because the poor things are too tired and prone to injury from running about for around 10k in 90 minutes.

Super Frankie Lampard will be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm just laughing.

He didn't do a great deal at Derby and it was always going to end in tears. Perhaps Chelsea could do Derby a favour and take Rooney off their hands!

Utterly ridiculous to put a young manager and group of players in, and then not bother to give them time, and get rid at the first slump in form.

Yes, I was quite surprised. I feel a bit sorry for Lampard, I quite liked him as a manager.

I'm looking back at my previous post when Liverpool had just gone 6 points clear. How times change eh?