Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkrun

Parkrun

https://athleticsweekly.com/featured...ns-1039930710/

Seems Witton parkrun doesn't feature in the top 30 toughest. Does anyone know which is toughest by climb? Is there a cat BS parkrun?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Whinlatter parkrun has I think 600ft of climb. Only about 80 people have broke 20mins there

187'/ml, that makes cat B.

Here is the complete list

https://www.thepowerof10.info/conten...px?itemid=1704

and Whinlatter is 759 - out of 760

Interestingly my pb is on statistically the hardest out of the courses i've ran.

Lyme Park parkrun is damn hard. 400 ft of climbing? Covers some of the same ground as Boar's Head fell race I guess.

Can someone explain standard scratch score?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Can someone explain standard scratch score?
    The VSS score is a difficulty rating used by Power Of 10/Run Britain, which produces a national ranking ladder for all club registered athletes. It is used to provide a consistency of ranking points over different courses.

A standard score should be something that is a "true" course, ie not affected by weather, hills, or being long/short.

However i have ran track races with a VSS of below -1, and also above 1......

SO in conclusion.... absolutely no idea...!

Likewise the National Rankings.... A very good athlete will have a negative score, and very decent club athletes at least below 1. The very elite will be several below zero.... (my best ranking has been about 3.5, although i'm above 4 at the moment as i haven't done a ranking race (road/xc/parkrun/track) since the early spring.
    Last edited by Travs; 02-07-2023 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    https://athleticsweekly.com/featured...ns-1039930710/

Seems Witton parkrun doesn't feature in the top 30 toughest. Does anyone know which is toughest by climb? Is there a cat BS parkrun?
    I think there might be a distortion of the stats, because Witton was originally a flatter, faster route and then in storms a bridge was washed away, so it changed to what they call "The Beast".
    It was supposed to be a temporary change, but when thee bridge was fixed, the organisers decided to stick with it.
    Parkrun couldn't scrap the old data, so Karl's record from 2015 still stands, but I don't think anyone has come within a minute of it since.
    So I doubt it would make the top 10, but it should be somewhere in the top 30. It has around 370ft of acsent,4 climbs, quite twisty and technical in parts.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Well I've done 33 different parkruns and the Power of 10 list makes some sense, but there are some glaring anomalies. For example, Dolgellau is pan flat and really fast, but gets 2.7; Evesham is flat and fast and gets 2.2. Glossop at 2.8 and Horton Park at 2.5 are both really hilly and slow.
    Fastest course I've run is York Racecourse and the hardest ones I've run are Flatts Lane, Lyme Park and Chevin Forest.
    I suppose the rating depends on how many fast runners regularly turn up.
    I've only got parkruns beginning with I, J, V, and Z to complete the parkrun alphabet - there is no X.
    I may have planned a recent holiday to The Trossachs to include getting a Q and U!
    Worry not though I'm still enjoying being at the back of Fell races.