Page 537 of 553 FirstFirst ... 37437487527535536537538539547 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,370 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Wolves? I think you're in a similar position to Leeds. There are enough teams worse than us that we'll get points from, and some of those teams are bad enough that they'll struggle to get anywhere near enough to survive. Hard to see Fulham or West Brom getting out of it now. You've got a good squad, I expect you'll climb past us and be solid mid-table.
    I don't think Travs will be too worried about Wolves, he supports Coventry.

Going back to premier league contenders, I think and hope it will be Man City. At the moment, I think they have the best (fit) squad. Quite surprised to see Man U riding so high after their early season travails.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Oops! In that case they're in for a bit of a dog fight then. Much sympathy for teams battling in the Championship.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Really strange isn't it? But I suppose he must have some geographical affinity to Coventry. And he is probably too young to remember Wright, Broadbent, Harris, Deeley, Stuart, Clamp, Flowers, Finlayson,...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 05-02-2021 at 09:49 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Really strange isn't it? But I suppose he must have some geographical affinity to Coventry. And he is probably too young to remember Wright, Broadbent, Harris, Deeley, Stuart, Clamp, Flowers, Finlayson,...
    Clamp.

What a great surname.

I hope he was a defender, Graham?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

My overriding memories of Wolves matches are going in the away end at Molineux and having all manner of debris (both liquid and solid) thrown over us from the home fans in the tier above.

Still it's a good local derby, and my dad claims it was quite a big one in the 60's.... Particularly the 2nd division title decider in 1967 which saw the highest ever official attendance at Highfield Road of around 51,000

A famous Cov moment from my youth for Travs
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Clamp.

What a great surname.

I hope he was a defender, Graham?
    Oh Yes!

Obituary (Independent
    )

The name of Clamp was a byword for ferocity in British football during the late 1950s. In his ruthless pomp as a ball-winner for Wolverhampton Wanderers, and, briefly, for England, "Chopper Eddie" was accorded a lurid reputation akin to that enjoyed today by Vinnie Jones.

Indeed, had Eddie Clamp risen to prominence in the tabloid age, it is likely that he would have eclipsed the ostentatious Wimbledon bruiser in the notoriety stakes, for he was a more complete performer. Though renowned for his physical approach - it would be idle to deny his methods were crude at times - Clamp was no one-dimensional clogger, and, with all due respect to the not untalented Jones, the taciturn Midlander had considerably more to offer in terms of ball control and passing ability.

Having won international honours as a schoolboy, Clamp turned professional with Wolves in 1952, then developed rapidly under the aegis of Molineux's martinet manager, Stan Cullis.

By 1955-56 he was a regular member of Cullis's all-action, but undeniably skilful team - a hard man in a hard side - and two years later his strength, stamina and all-round efficiency were an important factor in the club's championship triumph.

Clamp was rewarded by a full international call-up on the eve of the 1958 World Cup finals in Sweden, and he formed an all-Wolves half-back line with Billy Wright and Bill Slater.

He continued to prosper at club level, though, helping Wolves to lift a second successive title in 1959 and missing out on a hat-trick when Burnley pipped them by a single point in 1960. That term, however, there was heady consolation in the FA Cup, with Wolves defeating Blackburn 3- 0 at Wembley.

Having distinguished himself in the famous old gold and black, Clamp accepted a new challenge in September 1961, joining Arsenal in a pounds 34,500 deal. He had been bought to instil steel into what was then a rather languid Gunners combination, but that very combativeness was to prove his undoing. Six months after Clamp's arrival in London, his former Molineux skipper Billy Wright became Arsenal manager and took exception to "Chopper Eddie's" aggressive style.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Nice one WP.

One of my favourite all time football moments along with Ronaldo winking when Wayne Rooney was sent off against Portugal.

Willie Carr and Ernie Hunt. Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Oh Yes!

Obituary (Independent
    )

The name of Clamp was a byword for ferocity in British football during the late 1950s. In his ruthless pomp as a ball-winner for Wolverhampton Wanderers, and, briefly, for England, "Chopper Eddie" was accorded a lurid reputation akin to that enjoyed today by Vinnie Jones.

Indeed, had Eddie Clamp risen to prominence in the tabloid age, it is likely that he would have eclipsed the ostentatious Wimbledon bruiser in the notoriety stakes, for he was a more complete performer. Though renowned for his physical approach - it would be idle to deny his methods were crude at times - Clamp was no one-dimensional clogger, and, with all due respect to the not untalented Jones, the taciturn Midlander had considerably more to offer in terms of ball control and passing ability.

Having won international honours as a schoolboy, Clamp turned professional with Wolves in 1952, then developed rapidly under the aegis of Molineux's martinet manager, Stan Cullis.

By 1955-56 he was a regular member of Cullis's all-action, but undeniably skilful team - a hard man in a hard side - and two years later his strength, stamina and all-round efficiency were an important factor in the club's championship triumph.

Clamp was rewarded by a full international call-up on the eve of the 1958 World Cup finals in Sweden, and he formed an all-Wolves half-back line with Billy Wright and Bill Slater.

He continued to prosper at club level, though, helping Wolves to lift a second successive title in 1959 and missing out on a hat-trick when Burnley pipped them by a single point in 1960. That term, however, there was heady consolation in the FA Cup, with Wolves defeating Blackburn 3- 0 at Wembley.

Having distinguished himself in the famous old gold and black, Clamp accepted a new challenge in September 1961, joining Arsenal in a pounds 34,500 deal. He had been bought to instil steel into what was then a rather languid Gunners combination, but that very combativeness was to prove his undoing. Six months after Clamp's arrival in London, his former Molineux skipper Billy Wright became Arsenal manager and took exception to "Chopper Eddie's" aggressive style.
    Thanks Graham.

He just had to have a bit of clogging in his repertoire with a name like that.

Whilst thoroughly enjoying the demise of Liverpool I am getting a bit fed up with Klopp and most commentators blaming the injury to Virgil van Dijk as the major reason for their decline.

These people have very short memories. In Liverpool's first 4 Premier League games this season, with van Dijk playing, they shipped 11 goals. He was all over the place.

Also, whilst on the subject of German managers, it looks like Chelsea's Thomas Tuchel has also got a short fuse and when things start going wrong I think we can expect fireworks.