Page 539 of 553 FirstFirst ... 39439489529537538539540541549 ... LastLast
Results 5,381 to 5,390 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    As Leicester proved a few years ago, clubs from outside the elite can occasionally be successful.
    Indeed. You don't have to go back very far to find Man City in the second division/League One. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, and if it does happen, what long-term fans of these clubs do.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    As Leicester proved a few years ago, clubs from outside the elite can occasionally be successful.
    This is maybe the most beautiful aspect of the sport. Pity it is so rare.
    The bigger clubs win, almost always and exclusively, by exploiting their financial strength. Either illegally bribing intimidating the officials referees whoever (Juventus got convicted of this!), or legally by buying the best players. Even when it is legal, it is still not very nice.

A club buys the best players. Either by paying the clause in their former contract, or offering a bigger salary when they are free. And the players want good chance to play with other great players and win trophy, so this is a self amplyfing process.

And simply because a club can use money to get the best players, they tend to win more.
    Not evil, but not nice either. Still logical.
    Just I don't get why do supporters get happy about this...

The clubs are made of businessman doing business, either on the pitch or on the bench or in the office.
    What's cool about this?

It's interesting that in American Football, where there is no relegation or promotion, they have the draft system:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...l_League_Draft
    where the worst performing teams get the most promising young players.

Imagine that in the Premier League: "here you go Sheffield United - you can have Phil Foden"!

Of course they also have the college football system, which means this makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    And simply because a club can use money to get the best players, they tend to win more.
    Not evil, but not nice either. Still logical.
    Just I don't get why do supporters get happy about this...
    I suspect most fans would lament the extent that money controls the modern game, but at least it's transparent and fair in as much as the very upper echelons of the game are open to all teams, albeit it that a significant wad of cash is necessary. It's football in a capitalist society. Man City were in the third tier of English football not much more than 20 years ago, yet here they are now one of the biggest/best teams in Europe. West Ham might get in to the CL next year and could potentially get on a financial roll that means they could be stay there for a while.
    Geoff Clarke

It's been plain to see that something like this has been on the horizon, for years.

But the media, and fans at the top end, just buried their heads in the sand.... so long as their team (or wage packet) was benefitting from it.

What I don't get is the faux outrage of UEFA and the Premier League when it is THEY who are banning the 6 clubs from their competitions.

Surely these clubs can play in the PL at weekends and the midweek Super League and bin the Champions League (which isn't a league anyway) but a money making enterprise for the, dare I say it, GREEDY UEFA officials and their cronies.

Just heard Greg Dyke saying that the fans can turn their backs on the clubs so that the stadiums will be empty. He continued that "Manchester United fans have hated their American owners for years".

Perhaps, but Old Trafford is still full every week (in normal times).
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Nah i'm in favour of chucking the clubs out and never having them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Surely these clubs can play in the PL at weekends and the midweek Super League and bin the Champions League (which isn't a league anyway) but a money making enterprise for the, dare I say it, GREEDY UEFA officials and their cronies.
    I guess the logic is that they're undermining the PL by removing the prize of Champions League football for teams that have earnt a place in the top 4. I with Travs on chuck 'em out, though I agree that the PL and UEFA shouts of "Greed!" have a pretty hefty whiff of hypocrisy.
    Geoff Clarke

I'm not in favour of what they are doing either. But as Hank says there is so much hypocrisy going on.

The fans of the six clubs involved were more than happy when their current owners were chucking money at players, managers and new stadia.

I've not heard Sky or BT Sport say that they will not broadcast the matches. They have probably signed up already!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm not in favour of what they are doing either. But as Hank says there is so much hypocrisy going on.

The fans of the six clubs involved were more than happy when their current owners were chucking money at players, managers and new stadia.

I've not heard Sky or BT Sport say that they will not broadcast the matches. They have probably signed up already!
    Apparently BT Sport have strongly condemned it while Sky have said they are not in discussions to screen it. Which is not to say of course that they wouldn't be in the future.