Page 534 of 553 FirstFirst ... 34434484524532533534535536544 ... LastLast
Results 5,331 to 5,340 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Lots of famous old Midlands teams there. Most of those have folded and reformed in recent years, Bedworth being one of those that hasn't Yes, great win for Chorley. I've always supported non-league teams from a little lower down what used to be called the 'pyramid' (as well as being a season ticket holder at mighty Bradford City)

Yes, VS Rugby are now Rugby Town. Nuneaton Boro became Nuneaton Town (possibly got their old name back now). Racing Club Warwick have dropped a long way. Bedworth seem to be in perennial financial strife and often players leaving for more financial security in teams in the local Combination Leagues! But they have now got a 4G pitch and a lot of ground refurbishment, which hopefully gives them some infrastructure...

Bradford City... I remember playing them at Highfield Road final day of 2000/2001 when we were both already relegated... That was an utterly miserable day!

Valley Parade is one of the few Yorkshire league grounds I've not managed to get to (incidentally Yorkshire away games tend to be up there with the best in the country... both Sheffield clubs, Wednesday especially, and Barnsley, being up there with my fave away days...)

I remember the old Coventry Sporting FC ground in your neck of the woods, passed it when I got the bus to visit an old girlfriend at Warwick University back in the day. She actually lived next to the Coventry City ground at one point.

Good to see Marine and Chorley doing well, they both played in the old Lancashire Combination when I started watching Morecambe in the 1960’s, mind you Wigan were in the Cheshire League in those days.

Are you still watching Silsden Rob?

In the eighties I used to follow Stafford Rangers and recall trips out to see them play Marine, Morecambe, Witton Albion, Grantham, Gainsborough and many others.

When I think about it now I can't believe that I would travel for 2 or 3 hours on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, often in pouring rain, to watch 22 very average players kick a ball around a mudbath.

Were they really happy days?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

In reply to your original question Rob, not been non league for 13 years but IÂ’ve followed Morecambe home and away since my first match at Christie Park in 1960.

Followed them through the Lancashire Combination, Northern Premier League, Conference and now League Two, not been since last December though.

Two wins at Wembley, 3 cup runs to the FA.Cup 3rd round, giant killing against Wolves (twice) and Preston, happy days

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    In the eighties I used to follow Stafford Rangers and recall trips out to see them play Marine, Morecambe, Witton Albion, Grantham, Gainsborough and many others.

When I think about it now I can't believe that I would travel for 2 or 3 hours on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, often in pouring rain, to watch 22 very average players kick a ball around a mudbath.

Were they really happy days?

I think supporting football to that degree, ie travelling and going through a sacrifice of time and finances, has always been about more than just the football. Which is why the away-days are always more fun and more memorable. In fact the football is usually the low point of the day in Coventry's case.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think supporting football to that degree, ie travelling and going through a sacrifice of time and finances, has always been about more than just the football. Which is why the away-days are always more fun and more memorable. In fact the football is usually the low point of the day in Coventry's case.
    Ah, so supporting football is like fell running.

I don't know about you, Travs, but for me the long-distance travelling that I need to do for most of my fell running is all part of the enjoyment, as well as the social aspect of being at a fell race. To take an extreme example, last year I had a very enjoyable long weekend in South Wales, which wasn't spoiled by having to drop out of the fell race with injury after less than a quarter of the distance.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Ah, so supporting football is like fell running.

I don't know about you, Travs, but for me the long-distance travelling that I need to do for most of my fell running is all part of the enjoyment, as well as the social aspect of being at a fell race. To take an extreme example, last year I had a very enjoyable long weekend in South Wales, which wasn't spoiled by having to drop out of the fell race with injury after less than a quarter of the distance.

I completely agree. For me, although i've occasionally done Lakes/Snowdonia and back home in a day, it is very rare, and most races entail at least a night away, which adds to the fun. It's only really S.Wales, Shropshire, Peaks, that i'll do it all in a single day.

Although next year will likely see a change to that...!

Have had a number of stunning weekends/weeks away for football (Caen vs St Etienne on the night-ferry from Portsmouth... Rome derby... a week in northern Italy to see the likes of Milan, Juve, Atalanta, Inter, Fiorentina, Hellas Verona, Bologna... a riotous trip to Thessaloniki to see PAOK play, which didn't quite go to plan!)
    Last edited by Travs; 09-11-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post

Are you still watching Silsden Rob?
    Not been for a while, but the Keighley district now has 2 teams in the 'football pyramid', what with Steeton stepping up recently. They are managed by my old school-mate Roy Mason. I've been at Valley Parade a lot more in recent times.