Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
keeps putting his arms around his precious little things, and probably reads them bedtime stories, instead of putting a firework up their arses.
It's a bit more complicated than that, though, isn't it? For example, I'm sure Roy Keane was very good at putting a firework up the arse of a player, but his managerial record speaks for itself. (I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with 'tight'.)

Speaking of Roy Keane's managerial record, I'm reminded of the time in the late 80s (I think) when Mick Hucknall (out of Simply Red) played for Fulchester United (alongside, if I'm not mistaken, Shakin' Stevens, as well, of course, as Billy The Fish), as chronicled in Viz magazine. As I recall, the lad Hucknall (out of Simply Red) had quite an explosive start to the game, only to fade significantly shortly afterwards, missing numerous easy opportunities to score, prompting someone in the crowd to opine "in a bizarre recreation of his musical career, Mick Hucknall's considerable early promise has been followed up by a series of lacklustre disappointments".

In contrast to the likes of Roy Keane, Brian Clough was able to put his arm around those who would respond positively to having an arm put around them, and put a firework up the arse of those who would respond positively to having a firework up their arse (which included Keane himself, of course). Unfortunately, Mr Keane seemed only to learn part of the lesson.

Mind you, I couldn't stand Brian Clough in his pre-Forest days. Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.