Page 532 of 533 FirstFirst ... 32432482522530531532533 LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,320 of 5325

Thread: Tonight's football thread

  1. #5311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds. Capital of Gods Own.
    Posts
    11,176
    Every team has played 1 or 2 games in the Premier league without a single draw.


    Plenty of goals too.

  2. #5312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds. Capital of Gods Own.
    Posts
    11,176
    Why are premier league clubs wining about lack of spectators?
    On average the fans only account for 13% of revenue.

    7 clubs it's less than 10p in the pound go on players wages.

  3. #5313
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    1,501
    I'm finding this BLM gimmick of taking the knee at the start of Premier League matches a little tedious, especially when I look at the players and the majority are black, very good, and doing quite nicely from football, thankyou.

    Sky sports news is constantly airing a BLM advert between bulletins, no doubt under instructions from its PR department.

    Not a word about the deaths of workers and the black lives that are held in slavery to build the stadia for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

    I wonder how many Premiership players who "take the knee" will refuse to play in the 2022 World Cup on principle because BLM?

    I wonder if Sky Sports will refuse to broadcast the World Cup on principle because BLM?

    Or is it that those black lives don't matter as much or are they the wrong sort of black?

    I don't know but what I do know is that it reeks of double standards.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  4. #5314
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,133
    I was disappointed that my club Burnley didn't show a mark of respect for the copper that lost his life last week.
    I share your sentiments above Llani. Seems shallow gesturing to me. I'd ask how many of them will refuse to play a match in Eastern Europe where they get constant monkey chants?

    On a seperate note, that penalty against Spurs was appaling. The game is going down the pan at a rate of knots.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  5. #5315
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,117
    I saw a stat this weekend that suggest in the early 90's, most top Premier League teams were getting between 1 and 3 penalties a season on average... last year it suggested Liverpool/Man Utd/etc got closer to 20...

    I'm not sure how accurate the stat was, but it's an indication of where the game is heading... absolute desperation to find something wrong with everything... unfortunately this is what happens when money takes precedence over the spectacle of the sport itself...

    I even see it creeping into my own club... on the CCFC forum, rather than being pleased that we are on Sky again this friday and hopefully will be a decent match, more people seem to be pleased that the Sky appearance means "another 100k in the bank for the club".

  6. #5316
    Master Muddy Retriever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Muddy puddle at Temple Newsam
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I even see it creeping into my own club... on the CCFC forum, rather than being pleased that we are on Sky again this friday and hopefully will be a decent match, more people seem to be pleased that the Sky appearance means "another 100k in the bank for the club".
    Given your club (like all clubs) has zero money coming in through the gate at the moment I'm not surprised some of your fans are pleased about the 100k TV money. It might help them survive a little bit longer.

    I think the situation for clubs outside the Premier League is very worrying. I just don't know how they will be able to keep going without fans in the ground. It's another reason I'm glad we got promoted last season.

  7. #5317
    Master Witton Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I saw a stat this weekend that suggest in the early 90's, most top Premier League teams were getting between 1 and 3 penalties a season on average... last year it suggested Liverpool/Man Utd/etc got closer to 20...

    I'm not sure how accurate the stat was, but it's an indication of where the game is heading... absolute desperation to find something wrong with everything... unfortunately this is what happens when money takes precedence over the spectacle of the sport itself...

    I even see it creeping into my own club... on the CCFC forum, rather than being pleased that we are on Sky again this friday and hopefully will be a decent match, more people seem to be pleased that the Sky appearance means "another 100k in the bank for the club".
    I don't think it's money that is driving this Travs. I think it's the desire to try and micro-manage everything.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

  8. #5318
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Given your club (like all clubs) has zero money coming in through the gate at the moment I'm not surprised some of your fans are pleased about the 100k TV money. It might help them survive a little bit longer.

    I think the situation for clubs outside the Premier League is very worrying. I just don't know how they will be able to keep going without fans in the ground. It's another reason I'm glad we got promoted last season.
    Yes that is a very good point... however in a quirk of fate, we are arguably the least affected club of all when it comes to the Corona issue... as we currently have no outgoings in terms of a ground to look after!

  9. #5319
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I don't think it's money that is driving this Travs. I think it's the desire to try and micro-manage everything.
    I wasn't suggesting that there is money to be made off the back of using VAR/technology (although how long before we start to see adverts in the "VAR breaks???"...

    More that the ruling bodies appear to be so frightened that they are going to be on the recieving end of a legal case from a club who may feel they have lost out on a promotion/relegation/tv money, due to a wrong decision... so they are trying to tie everything into a black or white decision, with no grey areas.

    This doesn't work in football... the handball rules have been shown to be a farce... it's equally impossible with offside... goal-line technology fair enough (when they remember to switch it on of course!).

    In reply to a couple of posts above regarding Black Lives Matter etc in football... i'd sooner not get involved in any discussion which involves racism, as there is always someone who will take offence in some way... but yes i wonder what the response will be when the World Cup is on, given that it's common knowledge that it was "bought" with bribery, and the well-publicised issues with immigrant (slave) workers involved in the construction of the stadiums.

    I was also a little alarmed this morning to see another BBC feature on racism in football... the alarming aspect was the heavy focus on that England away game in Bratislava a few years back, as "evidence" of footballs racism problem... while that was indeed shocking, i hardly think it is a barometer for the current situation in British football...
    Last edited by Travs; 28-09-2020 at 01:45 PM.

  10. #5320
    Master Muddy Retriever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Muddy puddle at Temple Newsam
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Yes that is a very good point... however in a quirk of fate, we are arguably the least affected club of all when it comes to the Corona issue... as we currently have no outgoings in terms of a ground to look after!
    Does not owning the ground you play at make any difference though Travs? Presumably Coventry are still having to pay rent to their landlords Birmingham City and will be responsible for the usual match day costs. But they won't have any gate receipts to offset these costs and pay the players.

    I do think that the Premier League should support the Football League. If they don't then many if not most of the clubs will inevitably go to the wall.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 28-09-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Football ...
    By ZootHornRollo in forum General chat!
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
  2. Tonight's Gig
    By Manhar in forum General chat!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
  3. Today's NO FOOTBALL THREAD!
    By The Landlord in forum General chat!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-05-2009, 07:55 PM
  4. Football
    By Roger Rabbit in forum General chat!
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
  5. Football
    By Roadrunner in forum General chat!
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 13-05-2007, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •