Page 100 of 553 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Re: Tonight's football thread

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    You'd think Henry had scored the winner in the World Cup Final judging by the reaction and not against our particularly porous Championship defence. Looks like he's put on a bit of timber to me.
    I thought it was the second coming or a scene from JC-SuperStar...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16522642.stm

Interesting.

And what was going on with Balotelli last night? Injured or not arsed? I heard he'd been chatting in the press about going back to Italy. I hope not.

I tend to agree with Mancini. The Johnson tackle was far worse than Kompany's. Yet more refereeing inconsistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I tend to agree with Mancini. The Johnson tackle was far worse than Kompany's. Yet more refereeing inconsistency.
    Far worse? Lower challenge.. but at a faster pace.. both made almost no contact..

But I agree.. its inconsistent which is why Kompany was, or him and City feel, harshly done by.. I think ANY two footed challenge should be a red.. by their very nature they have to be lunges as there can be little control as both feet are lunging forwards..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    But I agree.. its inconsistent which is why Kompany was, or him and City feel, harshly done by.. I think ANY two footed challenge should be a red.. by their very nature they have to be lunges as there can be little control as both feet are lunging forwards..
    It's a question of timing too though. If your timing is spot on, as Johnson's was, there's no danger to the opposing player. A lot of damage could be done by a miss-timed one-footed challenge. I guess this is where the ref's judgement comes in, or they have to stick to the letter of the law... which is what happened on Sunday. I'd prefer judgement, even though it will inevitably bring about inconsistencies.
    Last edited by Hank; 12-01-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling boob

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    It's a question of timing too though. If your timing is spot on, as Johnson's was, there's no danger to the opposing player. A lot of damage could be done by a miss-timed one-footed challenge. I guess this is where the ref's judgement comes in, or they have to stick to the letter of the law... which is what happened on Sunday. I'd prefer judgement, even though it will inevitably bring about inconsistencies.
    Of course, but if you go in one footed you have one leg to divert yourself or provide some control.. 2 footed challenges have little control.. we all have done them.. but I always accepted that a red card was a possibility.. it was a stupid challenge by Johnson as his team were winning 1-0.. but Johnson rarely makes the right choices...

Of course, but if you go in one footed you have one leg to divert yourself or provide some control.. 2 footed challenges have little control.. we all have done them.. but I always accepted that a red card was a possibility.. it was a stupid challenge by Johnson as his team were winning 1-0.. but Johnson rarely makes the right choices...
    I agree that two-footers have the potential to be much worse, but all I'm saying is that it comes down to timing, and if timed well (like Johnson's!) I think it should be legitimate. I do generally think Johnson's more than a bit rum, and the thought of him as England right-back is a little worrying, but he made a corker of a challenge last night in the area on, I think, Aguero.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I do generally think Johnson's more than a bit rum, and the thought of him as England right-back is a little worrying, but he made a corker of a challenge last night in the area on, I think, Aguero.
    he's got all the raw ingredients, pace, power, skill.. he just makes rash challenges at stupid times, makes poor ball choices but also positionally can be atrocious.. on his day he can be superb, but that's too rare..

he just makes rash challenges at stupid times, makes poor ball choices but also positionally can be atrocious..
    Sounds like me in my heyday.

A cracker at the Valley yesterday, 3 goals in the last 5 minutes including an injury time equaliser for us. Never been to Cleckheaton before but visited twice yesterday. First for a couple of pints before the match then back for a curry on the way home