Page 312 of 553 FirstFirst ... 212262302310311312313314322362412 ... LastLast
Results 3,111 to 3,120 of 5528

Thread: Tonight's football thread

Ok late 80's... but even then the football is far lower than now, and remember club success did not tally with international success.. not by a long shot.. so trying to say the english game was healthier then doesn't really add up...

In fact the mid 70's to mid 80's was our worst period in the history of our international football....

Basically group stages at most, normally didn't qualify, only once did we make the second round in that period..

72,74,76,78 didn't qualify, 80 group stages, 82 second group stage, 84 didn't qualify....

From 98 > now we have been latter stages at most championships... semi's or 1/4s 5 times in the last 16 years pre-2012...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    As long as they are of the right character and quality who gives a shite where they are from?
    I hope you say the same for all immigrants coming to work in this country, or does that run counter to your UKIP/BNP/EDL views?
    Alison.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss July View Post
    I hope you say the same for all immigrants coming to work in this country, or does that run counter to your UKIP/BNP/EDL views?
    Don't think I've ever expressed any UKIP views mate

Todays football... not todays politics....

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Compare and contrast with United.. we are going through a bad spell yet Moyes still gets sung about and has the OT support...
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

You watch City on Sky....

at OT.. well in the exec lounges where my parents have season tickets we are all in support.. I was chatting to a few others over last weeks prawn sandwiches..

Last week we had Lee Martin.. with his FA cup medal and all, came over for a chat and the missus wanted her turkey then so we missed a chat.. tbf though United do use ex-players well now as ambassadors.

Ok late 80's... but even then the football is far lower than now, and remember club success did not tally with international success.. not by a long shot.. so trying to say the english game was healthier then doesn't really add up...
    I'd take the England team from that era over this one any time. 1986 - World Cup quarter finalists, knocked out only by the brilliance (and villainy!) of Maradona. 1990 - World Cup semi finalists.

Well we didn't have a good qualifying record.. also 88,92,94 were also awful years. For a 20 year period we had a pretty awful qualification history...

I think we have a genuinely good squad now, with Welbeck and Sturridge we have genuine pace up front with Rooney..

We lack a world class centre mid but otherwise I think we're in decent shape now.

I do think the EC was easier to win than the CL.. now you have to face Madrid and Barca.. right now the Italians aren't around but the German clubs are a lot stronger... but then again the Eastern teams were much stronger then. Now Europe is dominated by Spain, England, Germany and Italy.. it's hard to see a winner outside of them really..

I just think the cream rises to the top, we may have less in terms of numbers but we are still producing and our league teams are putting the effort in. The FA didn't help, appointing that muppet Wilkinson as technical director set our youth development back a decade...

You watch City on Sky....

at OT.. well in the exec lounges where my parents have season tickets we are all in support.. I was chatting to a few others over last weeks prawn sandwiches..

I've got a season ticket and have had one for the last 40 years.

Another one coming through United's famous youth academy, at a mere £50 million, if you believe the story?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ey-6452643
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

That's bound to be true... if its in the papers.. it's not like we've been connected with every centre mid in western europe or anything...

A city fan making comments about ludicrous spending....

Come on Danbert, up your game a bit...

Anelka is in for a huge ban, that comedian has come out in support.. probably the worst possible thing for him.. I reckon 10-15 matches..